First Wing BC??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Manta Man

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all, just trying to get some advice on buying a single tank wing system (Wing + SS bpw). It will mainly be for ocean diving with AL80s using a 3mm or 5mm suit. I've been looking at the Halycon Infinity pack, Hollis's S25 or 38LX + Elite2 Harness + SS BP or Dive Rite Voyager + basic harness & ss plate.
I have also noticed the distinct shapes these wings have; the Halycon like an 8, the Hollis an oval shape & the Dive Rite like a horseshoe. Could anyone shed some light on the pros/cons of these makes/shapes? Also what lift capacity should I get? Hollis 28 or 38Ibs lift / Haylcon 30Ibs / Dite Rite 35Ibs.

Any advice is good advice

Thanks

MM

With "AL80s using a 3mm or 5mm suit" Haylcon 30Ibs will be enough.
I use Halcyon Infinity 30 lb with more heavy system : steel HP120 and 30 cu stage.

really it depends on which brand you want to support and how much you want to spend. I would go with the Dive Rite Travel wing and a SS backplate over the Voyager, you don't need that much lift with that setup. 28-30lbs is plenty for that type of diving. Halcyon is very nice gear just very expensive.
https://www.divegearexpress.com/bcs/pkg_metal.shtml
Great deal on some plate/wing/harness packages there, and if you need any other gear, they do free international shipping for orders over $500.

I have a Halycon Pioneer (27 lbs.?) and a Hollis S25. Both work well with AL80 or HP100. I use the S25 with an AL80, AL BP and 2.5mm wetsuit. Works great. I like the fact that it is tight on the cylinder and there isn't a lot of taco'ing. It makes it a little hard to get the rig on an AL80 if there is any air in the wing at all but with a fully deflated wing it is fine. The S25 also have a built in single tank adaptor (STA) which works quite well. With my Pioneer I have to use a STA. The extra weight of the STA and an 8 lb. steel BP make 27 lbs just enough lift to float a steel tank at the surface. So if you switch to using a STA, THICK steel BP and steel tanks the S25 might be a shade to light on the lift. However you could use the S25 with no STA and thick steel plate or S25 with STA and AL plate or S25 with STA and average steel plate.

If you get too big a wing it will wrap around the tank like a taco shell and increase drag. For single tank diving I would not go about 30 lbs. If you are going to be using AL plate and/or AL80 tank then I'd even drop 5 lbs off that and say don't go above 25 lbs. for the wing.

Thx for the replies everyone. I think my preferences would be 1) Halycon Infinity 2) Hollis 3) Dive Rite. However, as the Halycon seems a little out of my budget so that puts Hollis as first choice - S25 or S38LX??. On a daily basis, I use AL80s with both a 3mm or a 5mm. I use 10lbs with the 3mm & 16lbs with the 5mm. Sometimes, I use a semi-dry 7mm with AL80s & very occaisionally with a steel tank. I would be using an SS plate (6lbs), not an AL, and I guess for single tanks I would NEED an STA, right?? Yes, I heard about the "taco'ing effect!! And that's just what I want to avoid. I just sold my huge 43lbs of lift traditional BCD, it was a nightmare to work with. Now I'm looking to go "light" but I can't afford to buy a different size wings for each set up.
Would the S25LX be able to cover those needs? Also I thought that the general for single tank wings was 30lbs & for twin tanks 40lbs and it seems that most brand follow those standards, except Hollis. can anyone tell me why? Thanks

Why Hollis over Dive Rite?
You also don't need an STA with certain wings, many don't have them at all, depends on the specific wing on whether it needs one, I still prefer them even if the wing doesn't need one.
25lbs will be enough, 38 is way too much. I would still highly recommend the Dive Rite travel wing over the Hollis options....

I have a Hollis wing. It is fine, but I don't think it is worth the price uptick from the Dive Rite stuff. Can't comment on the Halcyon, other than I feel that same about it as the Hollis.

This post is deja vu, all over again.....

If you go with Hollis I would recommend the S25. If you use a 6 lb. plate with no STA and a steel tank the S25 will be fine. The only reason I need a 27 lb. wing with my steel plate is because it is 8 lbs and with the STA it is over 10 lb. A wing with a 25 lb. lift would be fine for a 6 lb. plate and a steel tank. Even if you had a 2 lb. STA it should still be fine for a steel tank. The following configuration would work for you:

• Hollis S25 wing
  • Hollis steel plate
  • Two sex bolts
  • Two cam bands
  • Standard harness

You want the Hollis plate or a plate with slots for the cam bands (the DiveRite plate should work). Without slots for the cam bands you will need a STA as well. Additionally, you want sex bolts. If you use the standard bolts with wingnuts they will interfere with the cam bands and you might need to use a STA again.

If I was going to buy a DiveRite wing I'd go for their 25 lb. wing. I actually was going to buy a DiveRite 25 lb. wing with the DiveRite aluminum plate. They discounted the old DiveRite aluminum plate. However new DiveRite steel plate has a lot of cut outs so it comes in at 3 lb. The only reason I went with the Hollis setup was because the shop I popped into had the Hollis in stock but did not have the DiveRite I wanted in stock. Plus when I looked at the Hollis wing it had the stabilizer and did not require a STA. The shop owner (whose opinion I trust) assured me the Hollis wing didn't need a STA with the correct plate. I tried it and he was absolutely right. Plus the Hollis wing was cheaper than the DiveRite wing with a STA. The DiveRite wing will require a STA. So for a DiveRite configuration I would go with:

• DiveRite Travel wing
  • DiveRite steel plate
  • DiveRite STA
  • Two cam bands
  • Standard harness

You don't need the sex bolts with a DiveRite configuration because you use a STA and the STA will come with wingnuts.

P.S. Because they didn't have a DiveRite configuration in stock at the moment I wanted it, I got the Hollis wing for same price as DiveRite wing. Without the STA it actually worked out cheaper. If the Hollis wing was more expensive I would have waited for the DiveRite wing.

P.P.S. I have a Halcyon wing because I got it for $100. I'd never pay full price for a Halcyon wing either.

It seems that you've eliminated the Halcyon Infinity system from consideration, and I'd have to agree. I've had mine for about a year now, and have found that while it is superbly built, it does come with a few hundred dollars of extras that I've already removed as extraneous. I rarely use the shoulder pads, and have even stopped using the back pad and ACB pockets. I found the Cinch System functional but pretty stiff, not perfect for tightening up the rig, and I've now blown away the Cinch hardware after I installed the (for me) vastly superior Agir Harpa system, which makes tightening up the BC an absolute delight. YMMV, but my experience is that Halcyon packages too much stuff with the Infinity system which you may, or may not, use.

If you go with Hollis I would recommend the S25. If you use a 6 lb. plate with no STA and a steel tank the S25 will be fine. The only reason I need a 27 lb. wing with my steel plate is because it is 8 lbs and with the STA it is over 10 lb. A wing with a 25 lb. lift would be fine for a 6 lb. plate and a steel tank. Even if you had a 2 lb. STA it should still be fine for a steel tank. The following configuration would work for you:

• Hollis S25 wing
  • Hollis steel plate
  • Two sex bolts
  • Two cam bands
  • Standard harness

You want the Hollis plate or a plate with slots for the cam bands (the DiveRite plate should work). Without slots for the cam bands you will need a STA as well. Additionally, you want sex bolts. If you use the standard bolts with wingnuts they will interfere with the cam bands and you might need to use a STA again.

If I was going to buy a DiveRite wing I'd go for their 25 lb. wing. I actually was going to buy a DiveRite 25 lb. wing with the DiveRite aluminum plate. They discounted the old DiveRite aluminum plate. However new DiveRite steel plate has a lot of cut outs so it comes in at 3 lb. The only reason I went with the Hollis setup was because the shop I popped into had the Hollis in stock but did not have the DiveRite I wanted in stock. Plus when I looked at the Hollis wing it had the stabilizer and did not require a STA. The shop owner (whose opinion I trust) assured me the Hollis wing didn't need a STA with the correct plate. I tried it and he was absolutely right. Plus the Hollis wing was cheaper than the DiveRite wing with a STA. The DiveRite wing will require a STA. So for a DiveRite configuration I would go with:

• DiveRite Travel wing
  • DiveRite steel plate
  • DiveRite STA
  • Two cam bands
  • Standard harness

You don't need the sex bolts with a DiveRite configuration because you use a STA and the STA will come with wingnuts.

P.S. Because they didn't have a DiveRite configuration in stock at the moment I wanted it, I got the Hollis wing for same price as DiveRite wing. Without the STA it actually worked out cheaper. If the Hollis wing was more expensive I would have waited for the DiveRite wing.

P.P.S. I have a Halcyon wing because I got it for $100. I'd never pay full price for a Halcyon wing either.

Thx so much Scubadiver. I managed to get a try out with the Hollis gear, 25Ibs & found it really comfortable. The lift capacity seemed ok - ish, well at least my head was out of the water, but then I have been used to a Cressi J111R with about 43Ibs of lift - really OTT in the water & work wise on a busy boat, hence the change. So, I am pretty sure I am gonna go Hollis. The Dive Rite set up, I'll take a second look at but the selection where I am is limited & expensive. Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom