DSS (Old stock) vs Diverite Travelpac vs Zeagle Express Tech

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cwoco

Registered
Reaction score
So I dug through the bargain bin at the local dive shop and found some Deep Sea Supply Backplate/harness/wings. They look like they have been sitting around for a while (white crud on the black inflator hoses, backplates not too shiny) but otherwise look to be in usable condition. The shopkeeper offered me a really tempting price of $185. He also said I could mix and match the harnesses, wings (mainly 30L and 35L I believe, with zippered tops), and backplates (SS and their combination type Kydex, in various sizes).

He also offered me a Diverite Travelpac which looked to be in newer condition but also a bit of white stuff on the inflator hose, for a price of $302. Online, it appears that this model includes a crotch strap, but I don't recall seeing one on this particular piece.

He then pulled out a Zeagle Express Tech and offered it to me at $306. This was in absolutely new condition.

What would you guys suggest I go with?
About me: I'm a leisure/rec diver who has no intention of going into tech diving. I live in an area with pretty much no local diving, so I almost always have to travel to dive. I dive exclusively in warm water (I live in the tropics) with a 3mm suit and usually use 7-8lbs of weight.

I'm about 174cm tall and 65kg in weight. I have never dived with a backplate/wing setup, but have tried my friend's back inflate BCD (female version of Knighthawk) and enjoyed the way it felt snug and secure regardless of inflation level. In the past, I have not carried much gear when diving, but am gradually increasing my equipment. I think I would typically carry: 1 small torch, 1 smb + reel, 1 pointer/tickle stick and perhaps 1 knife/shears. At night I would add on another small torch. I also share a Gopro style camera with my gf so I may carry that at times too.

Here are my considerations:
1) I don't like wearing a weight belt. My original plan was to get a back-inflate BCD with integrated weight pouches. However, the good deal on the DSS popped up and I wonder if it would be nice to use the SS plate. At the same time, I have to travel to dive, and it really did seem heavy to deal with. I also worry if I might even be overweighted with a SS plate.
2) I like the idea of a crotch strap but have never used one. No BCD has ever sat nicely on me until I tried my friend's undersized back-inflate BCD
3) I have a tiny budget
4) Perhaps because the straps were stiff, the Hog harness on the DSS Medium plate (correct size for me) seemed to press into my lower back. This is strange because I've always been on the skinny side for mainstream BCD's. The Large was wider and did not press/rub. Would you suggest Medium or Large? Would Medium be ok once the harness softens?
5) I was only offered 6 months warranty on the DSS (although he later seemed to change that to a year). Is durability an issue?
6) I like putting stuff in pockets in BCD's e.g. my small torch. There is the option of getting additional pouches I suppose.

So the questions are: DSS or others (or none)? Steel or Kydex? Medium or Large?

Sorry for the wall of text. Hope you guys can help me decide which to get, or whether I should even get one, before I go on my trip to Maldives next week! Oh yes and I've heard great things about this Tobin guy, but I can't quite make an extended international call to him, hence I ask here.

1. I'd go DSS, Steel, whichever size you like better. Email Tobin he's a good guy. The medium is only like 4.7lbs so would still need some weight, though having a 4lb weight belt is much nicer than 10. Kydex is good if you don't need the weight, but it sounds like you do.

2. They're necessary.... Any bc without one will never sit right. You can get them for under $20usd or make one out of three slide locks, 2 d-rings, and some 2" webbing.

3. DSS happens to the best and also the cheapest....

4. Stiff straps are good, if you didn't like how they felt, you can get neoprene harness covers for around $20usd that will take the pressure point away.

5. Durability is pretty much a nonissue, just clean it out real good.

6. Thigh pockets are better than bc pockets, though a small one on the waist strap is pretty nice. Dive Rite makes a really nice one.

Travel is also a nonissue, throw it in the bottom of a duffel bag or your rollaboard and call it good. I travel with a steel plate pretty regularly.

DSS nice price, and quite flexible. You could add xs scuba weight pouches for a way to eliminate a weight belt if you go kydex, and the ss is 6#. Likely get the bigger plate.

The harness really won't soften much and its the way they function best.

oh, also should let you know that the harness should actually be loose, not tight like most other harnesses. Tobin also has videos on his wbesite showing you how to clean and reassemble the inflator assemblies. Probably just some dried salt deposits or something, nothing to worry about.

Last edited:
Hi There,

Those with much more experience than me will chime in. I have DSS and I love it, but I was really on the fence about the ZET and could have gone either way. My husgnad is similar to you and got a HOG BPW with aluminum instead of SS and now (even though we travel to dive) he kinda wishes he went SS (its really not that much more weight). However given the descriptions of the DSS gear (white stuff on the hose seems like poor care and maintenance), I would go with the newer ZET. Unless the shop that is selling you the $185 which is a pretty good deal can service the wing and inflator hose for you and you like and trust them. Really I think either way you would be good. If you decide to go DSS here is a handy article about sizing yourself for a backplate:

BAUE How To Size a Backplate

IMHO:
1) go SS or consider a rubber weight belt from mako
2) crotch strap is incredible easy and cheap to add or remove to any BPW or BC
3) all three of these seem pretty good, but factor in having the "cruddy" looking inflator hose serviced (how much cost, hassle and time before your trip)
4) new webbing for harness is pretty cheap, but some new webbing will soften with use, check the size link above about which size for you, trying on in the store is not the same as how it will fit in the water, hence the size chart.
5) BPW is super durable and DSS stuff is awesome, yes Tobin is amazing!
6)You can really add pockets to any of the systems, although think about x shorts and clipping stuff off to your drings instead

I would also steer you towards the 30# wing as long as the condition is good. I hope that my responses help. I am sure you will get more info from other members.

It is so nice having your own BC! Have a great time on your upcoming trip - please post a report and pics when you get back!

Thanks everyone for the great, detailed responses!
To clarify, the 'white crud' was more of white residue - like white powder/dust/salt. A thin coating along the corrugated material, not solid chunks/clumps. The inflator area looked to be fine. I suspect it will simply wash off.

The shopkeeper also offered free first servicing on the BC's, but I'll need to double check on that - they can be a bit inconsistent sometimes.

My weight of 7-8lbs is with just a torch and pointer, plus slightly positively buoyant fins. I have since switched to slightly negative fins, plus added on SMB+reel + cutter, so that may drop a bit of weight. I was thinking that if I needed more weight, a single additional weight on my tank strap should suffice, eliminating the need for a weight belt.

Also, my sister who dives with me is also considering buying as well. Shes about 163cm and 50kg, and uses about 4lbs of weight. She doesnt mind a weightbelt though, so I was thinking of recommending the Kydex backplate for her. Even without a belt, I think she will do fine with just 1 weight on her tank strap.

I will go down to the shop again early next week with my sister, and try out the various pieces again, adjusting them to fit this time.

I really like my express tech with the 24# wing for tropical diving. The wing may limit you for other types of diving, but for "tidy bowl" travel it's really light and streamlined. Did the express tech have a weight system (zip touch or ripcord)? I have the zip touch and it works well (there are plenty of cheaper alternatives out there). If it comes with the zeagle weight system for that price, it's not a bad deal. Mine came with the deluxe harness. I'm sure it would have been fine, but I picked up some webbing and made a basic harness (used alot of the parts from the deluxe harness and much simpler). I really like the way the harness expands and contracts for easy doffing and donning. It's also nice if a friend or significant other needs to borrow it. YMMV Good luck. :)

if your sister wants one too, I'd grab the large for you, medium for her, both stainless steel, preferably with the smaller of the wings. The corrugated hoses can be replaced quite cheap if they have to, but odds are they'll clean up just fine. No service really needed on them regularly but the inflator might need to be lubed. Tobin sells the kits for very cheap and has the video of how to do it online. Work a deal with him for both if you can, but while the travelpac and express tech are good rigs, they just don't compare to the true bp/w.... Especially to justify the cost differential.

Hi AdivingBel, nope, the ZET was bare (well, it was the deluxe version with pads, but had no weight system), and the Zeagle weight systems are pretty expensive as add-ons go. Even the XS Scuba weight pouches are pretty expensive.

Anyway, may I ask who you (and other people) seem to prefer a hogarthian harness to the Deluxe style harness (with extendable shoulder straps/clips and all). To me, the hog harness seems much more limited - there was a deluxe style harness in the pile of items the shopkeeper said I could mix and match for the DSS price - might not have actually been DSS but it looked tempting to me - also because the backplate attached was much shinier and newer looking.

I prefer the Dive Rite Deluxe harness to the one piece but because my shoulders are larger than my waist and I am quite long torso'd the one piece harnesses are rather restricting for me with doubles if I don't have a thick wetsuit on. In a drysuit I just don't have the flexibility to get in and out of them, so the one QR on the left shoulder. That being said I recommend that everyone try the one piece harness first, and if it doesn't work for you, then you can easily put a QR on one shoulder, or change to another harness if the one piece doesn't work for you.

Grab what you want from the pile, the harness is the least of your worries right now. Important thing is getting a good plate and wing *again, go smaller here*, and you can change the harnesses around very inexpensively.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom