Singles Wing Recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BugHunterNY

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey all,

Need a recommendation for a singles wing. On my doubles now I use the ScubaPro X tek horseshoe double bladder. I'm not in love with it, and don't want to get the singles version.

I do not need dual bladder. I'm considering Halcyon Eclipse, Hollis LX 25lb and Dive Rite Travel XT 25lb. Let me know if there's a great one out there that I'm not looking at (and why you love it) and reviews on the above would be awesome!

Thanks!

Oh, most of the time I'll be diving steel 100s or 120s, anywhere from a semi dry to a lavacore skin, potentially a small 19 bail out, but maybe not.

This is for vacation / rec diving.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

All the wings you've mentioned are very solid wings, no bad choice. If I may, also check out the oxycheq wings, bullet proof and a nice stream lined design. You really can't go wrong with any of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
DRiS Trianta wing is a great value for what it is.
https://www.divegearexpress.com/bcs/pkg_metal.shtml
DGX might also sell you their singles wing which should be comparably priced and is made in USA, hell for $310 you can get a second backplate and harness, so that covers your cam bands as well. Wouldn't really bother paying much more than either of those.

I've dove my Oxycheq 30 with a steel 80 or 100 and a 30 deco bottle and with a single al 63 and it's worked perfectly. It's a solidly constructed wing and packs beautifully for travel. I see no reason it shouldn't work well with a 120. And as decompression said, it is very streamline.

Last edited:
Mine is a bit bigger but I really like my Hollis S38. It is a 38# lift wing that I use with my drysuit. It is a solidly built wing and takes a pretty good beating. I also like that it is a donut wing. Also check out the Apeks line of wings, they look good to.

DRiS Trianta wing is a great value for what it is.
https://www.divegearexpress.com/bcs/pkg_metal.shtml
DGX might also sell you their singles wing which should be comparably priced and is made in USA, hell for $310 you can get a second backplate and harness, so that covers your cam bands as well. Wouldn't really bother paying much more than either of those.

That setup from DGX with a steel plate at 309.00 is a deal that really would be very hard to be beat.

That setup from DGX with a steel plate at 309.00 is a deal that really would be very hard to be beat.

I looked at that and it does seem like a great value but is it the best wing for his money if all he really needs is the wing?

it's worth the call to DGX to see what they'd sell it for without the plate and cam bands.... Also if he has an AL or Kydex style backplate for his doubles, having a SS plate for singles is certainly a good thing. Combine that with the fact that with the exception of the Hog wings, everything else starts at $300 for a singles wing, $280 Dive Rite Travel EXP, $340 for Travel XT, $305 for the Deep Sea Supply singles wings, $340 for Hollis S25LX, $360 ish for the Oxycheq Mach V, and $490 for the Eclipse, yeah I'd say it's a good deal....

also makes it a good deal if he doesn't have dedicated cam bands or an STA, because changing a plate between singles and doubles if you aren't using an STA is a colossal PITA.

I looked at that and it does seem like a great value but is it the best wing for his money if all he really needs is the wing?

Yes, that is true. I don't see that wing for sale on their site. Might need to give them a call.

Another decent deal on just a wing is the trianta wing from DRIS.

DRIS Dive Gear 28lb Trianta Wing | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba

He just missed out on the Hog 32 lb wings from DRIS for 175 on black Friday.

All good points but if based on the wings he has mentioned, I think quality may trump cost in his considerations. Looking at the DGX it's doesn't seem as well made and has no inner bladder so not sure about pinching risk and repairs. Comparing styles, the Travel XT seems very similar to the Oxycheq but I'm not sure if the Travel XT has the built in stabilizers or if that matters to the op. The Hollis LX looks comparable to the Hog in style and while it's made very well, the Hog is not as slick in the water. And with 120's, the slightly added lift of a 30 or 32 rather than a 25 might be meaningful. I noticed both DGX 25 wing and the DR 25 wings stop at steel 100 on their website.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom