Harness, Backplate, Wing Set-up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DJ457

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm currently diving with a jacket style BC but want to upgrade to a set-up with harness/backplate/wing.

I need some help. What are you guys using? There are so many choices like OMS, Hollis, DiveRite and so on.
I'd like to do some dives with doubles in the future, so I want something with enough lift for that purpose too. When diving singles I use Faber steel 108.

Thanks for the help.

I'm currently diving with a jacket style BC but want to upgrade to a set-up with harness/backplate/wing.

I need some help. What are you guys using? There are so many choices like OMS, Hollis, DiveRite and so on.
I'd like to do some dives with doubles in the future, so I want something with enough lift for that purpose too. When diving singles I use Faber steel 108.

Thanks for the help.

Not much of a difference between plates, although you need to choose between aluminum and steel. The decision is based on a number of factors, including whether you will be traveling with your gear, what exposure suit you wear, etc. I use a steel plate for local diving with doubles, and also when I travel to warm water for single tank diving. I do have an aluminum plate, which I have used when diving doubles and a wetsuit (not very often).

Most people use some variation on the standard Hogarthian harness.

You should not use the same wing for singles and doubles diving. If you are not diving doubles now, just get a single tank wing.

I personally have Halcyon gear, but my son has a Dive Rite system that he is happy with. Many people seem to like the Deep Sea Supply stuff as well.

Thanks for the reply. I use a 7mm wetsuit and will probably be getting a steel plate.

You'll definitely need a different wing for singles vs. doubles; using an oversized wing will create a taco effect, trap air in the bladder, and create lots of drag. You really want the smallest wing for the job. For 7mm with a steel tank I would go with 25-35lbs. I use a 25lb wing with 7mm and a steel 130 and never found myself lacking for lift. But it really depends on what other gear you have; if you have a canister light, heavy camera, and other negatively buoyant gear with you then 30+ is better.

Even for doubles, you'll find that different wings work for different tanks. A 60lb wing works well for my double 130s, but it's overkill for my 100s.

I recommend that you read this forum, which has at least 1 new thread, every day, asking this exact question. Many days here are several threads started, within minutes of each other, and the mods merge them.

agreed.

If made in USA matters to you, you are limited to Dive Rite-the original backplate manufacturer with wings made in New York. Plates I believe are made in New England somewhere, they used to be made by Highland Millworks in MA, but not sure if XS moved them when they bought the company.
Deep Sea Supply, Tobin is an interesting guy and super helpful. All of his stuff is made in Pasadena CA
Halcyon-the most expensive of the lot, I'm not convinced they are of high enough quality to justify a 2x jump in price, but many are. Made in N. Florida by the same guys that run GUE.
UTD-not sure where they're made, but they are about as expensive as Halcyon and not quite as high quality.

For the price Deep Sea Supply and Dive Rite are really the only choices if you want made in USA.
https://www.divegearexpress.com/bcs/pkg_metal.shtml
That is the best deal going right now, and I would recommend adding this STA as well
https://www.divegearexpress.com/bcs/backplates.shtml#1732

Puts you at $335 all in for the system, and gets you a high quality rig that will truly last you the rest of your diving career. Deep Sea Supply is about the same money, but they don't use an STA. Pros and cons, but if you want to use the same backplate for singles and doubles, an STA is really the only way to do it. Way too much work to switch over without it. If you only have one tank, you can also just unscrew the STA and leave the cam bands on the tank and pack the plate and wing which is a nice feature.

agreed.

If made in USA matters to you, you are limited to Dive Rite-the original backplate manufacturer with wings made in New York. Plates I believe are made in New England somewhere, they used to be made by Highland Millworks in MA, but not sure if XS moved them when they bought the company.
Deep Sea Supply, Tobin is an interesting guy and super helpful. All of his stuff is made in Pasadena CA
Halcyon-the most expensive of the lot, I'm not convinced they are of high enough quality to justify a 2x jump in price, but many are. Made in N. Florida by the same guys that run GUE.
UTD-not sure where they're made, but they are about as expensive as Halcyon and not quite as high quality.

Is North Florida not in the USA?

I was listing all of those companies as made in USA.
Dive Rite
Halcyon
Deep Sea Supply
UTD

Zeagle I guess is also made here at least last I checked, but not a BP/W

Honestly, I'd begin with a solution that will work for how you dive currently(7 mil, 108) then add pieces to your fleet as you move along. While the BP/W is highly modular, there is hardly a "one size fits all solution" for warm/cold, singles/dubs. Trust me, you will have a fleet of wings and backplates if you progress like myself and many other members on this board have.

So, for your "now" selections I'd agree that a SS plate would be a good choice to help sink that 7 mil. With respect to wing lift and size, be sure you understand the concept and how to calculate your needs prior to making a selection. It's useful learning and another tool in your dive knowledge toolbox.

Once again I will make the offer to send anyone who asks and provides an email address the article I wrote on BPW's and accessories you may want to consider. It also goes into set up, adjustment, and a little on regulator choices with it. Send me a PM or email using the link in my signature line. It's 11 pages with illustrations and photos. It's too big to PM via SB.

Back
Top Bottom