BCD for a big guy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SparkE79

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,

6' 1" and 305lbs dude here. I got my OW cert a few years ago but then started a new job and didn't have time for diving. I now get 4 weeks vacation and may even get laid off with oil at its current price, so I've got the time and I am making an effort to get back into it.

I have mask, snorkel, fins, and booties from my OW class still. I can rent regs and computers and tanks, but I had trouble finding a BCD that fit right for my OW class, and I'd like something that fits properly and is somewhat adjustable in case I start to lose the weight.

Specifically, the jacket-style BCD in my OW class was a bit too small (biggest size they had), and it seemed to want to 'ride up' on me (esp. when at the surface).

Is a backplate/wing setup the best way to go at my size? I'll probably be diving in a t-shirt and board shorts. I'm open to any recommendations. Thanks for any help.

What are your rough chest/waist measurements? A BP/W may be your best option but depending on your chest size the single piece harness may be an issue as it was with me when I was that weight.

Chest is about 52", waist (or rather where I'm biggest around the belly)is about 55". In dress clothes terms, I have a 52 long jacket in the closet that's a bit snug and a 54 long blazer that's way too big. Shirt size is 18.5 neck 36 or 37 sleeve.

You cannot go wrong with a BP/wing setup. One size fits all. If you don't like an Al or steel I have a few of the plastic (ABS) plates laying around gathering dust. I will sell you one real cheap and I might have the used webbing also available. It sounds like you might be getting ready to go thru some hard times $$ and I do not want you to spend a lot of money. This is not BS but just a fellow diver that enjoys others getting into the sport. I got a good deal on the plates that I was going to use for a project but went down a different path. PM me if you are interested or would like additional advice. OBTW, I do not work at a shop trying to sell gear and that is not a knock against DRIS. DRIS is a very standup operation and I have had 100% satifaction with them. I am just offering an additional option.

A BP/W would be a good solution but as I found personally, the single piece harness never quite fit right with the way they threaded and came out from the BP. While a few big guys out there have figured out a way to make it work with adjustments, custom backplates etc. I eventually went with a deluxe style harness for my BP. the chest strap and D-rings that routed the webbing straight down the chest and then angled it back was a great deal easier for me to work with. So much so that even after losing 100lbs I still use the same solution.

Good point DRIS 2. There is more than one way to skin a cat and I really do not want to know where "more than one way to skin a cat," came from.

I would suggest BP/W because no matter how well the system fits you need a crotch strap since your waist is bigger than your chest. The Dive Rite Deluxe harness with the chest strap will help to route everything properly and more comfortably. If you get smaller you can always take all of the hardware from that harness and swap it to a one piece harness for about $15 in webbing.

Don't be surprised if the "standard" sized backplates just don't feel right, because they are made for average sized people. I held off on trying a BP/W for a long time because of this. I switched to a DSS backplate (Long) last year. They come in different sizes (wider/longer/etc) Sure, a standard plate can be made to work by adjusting the harness or using some deluxe harness, but I firmly believe from my experience that having a larger plate goes a long way in terms of comfort. I am of similar dimensions, a little taller than you, and I use a one-piece harness.

Also, I switched over from a Zeagle Ranger LTD, which also worked very well for me. I decided to go to the BP/W to simplify my rig.

I just set up a student this year in a BPW who was barrel chested. The standard hogarthian harness did not work for him either. I put him in a Manta Deluxe Harness that made all the difference in the world with the available adjustment options it offers as well as the chest strap.

I am also working on a prototype harness in a "H" style for BPW's similar to those used on some sidemount rigs. I have cut a few of the plates needed for the BPW harness on the waterjet and am tweaking them now. While not a one piece it will offer the user more options. Especially for those who cannot use the traditional Hogarthian style.

The funny thing is that this seems to work for very large people and very small ones. Having the shoulder straps come straight down eliminates the back up lights all the way under the arms thing that smaller people run into. I'm deciding now whether or not to use buckles on the shoulder straps. One way would use them and the other would make them unnecessary.

Another option might be a Zeagle Express Tech - a soft backplate, minimal, travel design. I don't know the custom sizing on them but with their PFS (Personal Fit System) components can be changed as needed. I plan to get one and I'm 6'4" although thinner than you with a 42-44" waist. Express Tech Deluxe They're also $350 - plus $80/100 for an integrated weight system.

Their Ranger line - more of a cold water, heavier lift design although my buddy travels with his in checked luggage to tropical areas, goes to custom sizing past XXL. A guy on another forum was 6'6" and 350# and he was able to have one custom made. All his weight seemed to be in his belly - he posted photos showing the fit. They start at around $750 though.

If you happen to be in Dallas - Scubatoys is a Zeagle Dealer. They also have a custom model made for them called the Brigade which is a Ranger harness with a lighter travel wing. Zeagle Brigade BCD discounts on sale Zeagle

Maybe check into a Hollis Ride also - it's another mimimalist travel BC like the Express Tech except it also has a padded crotch strap standard. I don't really know much about them. Hollis Ride Wing Travel BCD discounts on sale Hollis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom