Travel Carry on with BP/W Vs. Aeris Jetpack as a Carry on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just phil

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This might sound stupid but oh well...

I want to travel with my dive kit AND my clothes etc... As carry on only. I don't want to check a bag!

That is why the Aeris Jetpack has caught my eye, however, I must wait until the new Oceanic version comes out (with the tank lift issue fixed).

After some suggestions here on the SB, I'm also looking at a BP/W setup.

So my question is this; Realistically, will a BP/W, regs, Aeris excell travel fins, and "reasonable" travel clothes for a week long cruise (meaning casual, non-formal clothes) all fit in a carry on bag?

Or should I be wearing all my clothes onto the plane...?:wink:

I ask this because I have never used a BP/W setup and I honestly don't know enough about them. Yet...

I appreciate anything you're willing to share.

Cheers
Phil

Most domestic airlines, which you will use if you are making a connection to your final destination, have a size limitation, as well as a weight limitation of 7KGs for the carry on bag. Make sure you find out in advance and comply, otherwise you might end up checking your bag anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just got back from diving in Riviera Maya. Every airline I've flown on allows (basically) a 22" carry-on bag plus one "personal item". For me, that means the largest allowable rollaboard plus a backpack. On this trip, my rollaboard held:

DSS SS backplate and Hogarthian harness
DSS LCD 30 wing
3/2 full wetsuit
Stahlsac Molokini regulator case containing one reg set plus my PDC
Mask and snorkel
Dive shoes

And that fit into an overhead bin with no trouble. So, really, the only things it did not have in it were my fins (and miscellaneous things like mesh dive bag, gloves, some 1 # weights, a dive towel, and a finger reel).

That left my backpack free to carry clothes, etc.. As it was, I put my fins, most clothes, and misc items in a bag that I checked.

My fins (Atomic blades) are too long to fit in my rollaboard. And had they fit, I think I would have had to take some other stuff out. But, while I considered the other stuff to be "personal fit" items and important to have my own, I wasn't too concerned about it if my fins were lost or delayed and I had to borrow or rent some.

Bottom line: I'd say it's entirely possible to do what you want - if you're going to a warm water destination. Particularly, if you don't mind leaving your fins home, but maybe even if you take them.

In the U.S. there seems to be a general tightening of the size restriction also - one of the airlines (United?) made an announced change earlier in the fall that they would be using the sizing boxes more at the gate since everyone is trying to carry-on as much as they can to avoid checked bag charges.
The maximum dimensions for a carry-on bag are 9 inches x 14 inches x 22 inches (22 cm x 35 cm x 56 cm), including handles and wheels.
Maybe look at a harder sided travel case also. I have a TravelPro - you see many of the airline personnel using them. I fill much of the bottom with my video housing and loop regs around the perimeter of the cover pocket - can get 2-3 sets of clothes in that area alone - as well as shirts/shorts rolled up in the bottom for padding. Also my mask/computer but I check BCD/Fins etc. in another larger rolling duffel bag.

A few years ago thru Dallas I caught a completely full over-booked flight. A bunch in a group all going on a cruise together so no one wanted to take the money for a later flight - including us since we had to connect with a 2 hr. window later in our trip. We had a later boarding group so by the time I got to the gate they were asking people to remove their personal stuff from their carry-on's so they could be gate-checked also. I'm not sure how well a Jetpack - or Dive Caddy - would do in that situation - they dropped them down a slide attached to the jetway.

If you don't go the BP/W route, the Zeagle Covert is designed to roll-up - they claim it's the size of a fat newspaper when you do.

I've read about people making their BP/W into a carry on by creating a "backpack" which is attached to the BP. They then put their gear into the backpack and all is well. While I think there could be a market for such a pack (heck, maybe I should create one) -- me, I check my luggage.

I just got back from diving in Riviera Maya. Every airline I've flown on allows (basically) a 22" carry-on bag plus one "personal item". For me, that means the largest allowable rollaboard plus a backpack. On this trip, my rollaboard held:

DSS SS backplate and Hogarthian harness
DSS LCD 30 wing
3/2 full wetsuit
Stahlsac Molokini regulator case containing one reg set plus my PDC
Mask and snorkel
Dive shoes

And that fit into an overhead bin with no trouble. So, really, the only things it did not have in it were my fins (and miscellaneous things like mesh dive bag, gloves, some 1 # weights, a dive towel, and a finger reel).

That left my backpack free to carry clothes, etc.. As it was, I put my fins, most clothes, and misc items in a bag that I checked.

My fins (Atomic blades) are too long to fit in my rollaboard. And had they fit, I think I would have had to take some other stuff out. But, while I considered the other stuff to be "personal fit" items and important to have my own, I wasn't too concerned about it if my fins were lost or delayed and I had to borrow or rent some.

Bottom line: I'd say it's entirely possible to do what you want - if you're going to a warm water destination. Particularly, if you don't mind leaving your fins home, but maybe even if you take them.

i bought the Aeris travel fins because they do fit in my carry on. Travelled last week with them to Roatan. And while they are a lot more work in a current (compared to my ScubaPro twin jet max), they don't take up a lot of room.

My biggest problem is that my LDS doesn't do BP/W. So the closest shop will be a 1.5 hr drive to Toronto. Maybe if I can see a set up I'll know better what kind of room I'm playing with...

They're surprisingly small looking in person when broken down separately into harness/wing/bp. A Standard Halcyon plate is 15.5" x 10.25" and an inch+ thick but only in the middle channel. The one on the right.

Key Features of the Halcyon Backplate

Constructed from high-grade, polished Stainless Steel or hard-coat Aluminum
Carefully milled surfaces eliminate sharp edges
Available in two sizes, both are compatible with any Halcyon BC component
Standard: 6-lb. (2.7kg) Stainless Steel or lighter weight 2-lb. (.9kg) Aluminum
Standard-size plates are 15.5” X 10.25” (39.3cm x 26cm)
Small: 5-lb. (2.26kg) Stainless Steel or 1.8 lb. Aluminum
Small plate measure 14” x 9.25” (35.5 cm x 23.5cm)
http://www.halcyon.net/bc

Capture.JPG

The short answer is yes. If the fins will fit you can also get a standard BP/W and reg set with a modest amount of clothes into a carryon and personal item. I use a duffel bag so virtually no added weight, takes up minimal space (as opposed to a wheeled bag) and is somewhat moldable to the shape needed. A large backpack can serve the same purpose.
Kelty Redwing 50 Pack

Another reason I went with the HOG tech fins. Short enough to fit in a carryon size bag or strapped to the outside of it. If necessary they will fit under the seat without sticking out. I took my BPW to Bonaire, Puerto Rico, and the Keys as carryon. As for weight just make sure you don't let the attendant lift it if it's too heavy. Of course they should not be asked to do that anyway. Not their job. If you have trouble lifting it don't take it.

Thanks! I really appreciate the input. This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for!

Now I know which options to consider. I just have to fine tune things in order to make a choice.

Thanks again!

Phil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom