Going pro looking for some better gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vonlick

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Looking for input on what is good setup for doing to DM and then IDC. I have an older sea quest BC and regs. The BC might be ok to start, I also have a Cobra computer. I am thinking I should get some new regs mainly for maint reasons. Any input will be great.

OP -- IF your dive list is correct, my advice would be for you to spend whatever money you want to GO DIVE and get both dive Experience and varied diving Experiences.

Gear is gear and what is often most important is what does your shop owner want you to be diving.

For the record, in the pool I use an old Seaquest Balance, Scubapro wet suit and Mk 2 reg -- for OW I use a DSS BP/W, Santi Dry suit and HOG regs.

Oh and I have a Suunto Cobra computer, Suunto Vytec (wireless) and Liquivision Xen while doing OW dives.

You do not need to have brand new or top of the line gear for teaching; but it should all be in good condition and present that way. I have worked with a few well seasoned instructors who have gear that looks as if it should be removed from service, gear that looks like it's on its last leg. Very old torn tattered, patched uped BCS are the big ones and they always say it shows my dive experience but students didn't see it that way and were a bit concerned.

You can stick with your current gear and look/research what you believe will be best for you and purchase the gear over time as it can become a large investment on top of your GO PRO investment. As long as you feel your gear is reliable, safe, and well maintained that is the best start. If you are worried about your regs send them out to be serviced. If your regs are expensive to service or hard feelings re the shops near you to get parts for then that is also a good sign to look for a different set of regs.

Hey Vonlick :)

Good idea about upgrading regulators! For full-time educators, we want gear that will stand the test of time. It's irritating to have to service a set of regulators, that may be very high performance, however are incredibly sensitive! When researching what regs are best for your situation, factor how much you'll be diving in future and what your budget is.

Go PRO internships conducted at our 5 Star IDC Dive Centre are supported by our HQ facilities in Sabah's capital, Kota Kinabalu. For interns completing their professional dive training, many conveniences are provided, such as a fully-stocked dive shop.
Our supervisor orders products according to popularity amongst travellers to Sabah, as well as what will be the most value-for-money options for our internship candidates. There are combination packages created with massive discounts. Because we're professional divers to, we empathise what new professionals need and want - we've been there :)

I would not worry in the slightest that your gear is too old for doing a DM and IDC, as long as it works. Instead, worry about being a "professional" diver with fewer than 50 dives. Fortunately, the solution for this is to simply dive more! If your regulator cannot be serviced anymore, then of course you need to get a another one, but otherwise, just use what you have.

Most of the actually working dive pros I've met have simple and well-used gear.

A new regulator might be a sound investment. Get a regulator that has long service intervals, you don't want to have to service your regulator every 3 months because you're diving with it so much. I know someone who does about 600-700 dives a year and was servicing his ScubaPro regulator all the time. Moving to a regulator with a longer service interval saves him money every year.

Save your money for diving and use the gear you have. Then if you manage to find a job diving make the shop you are working for buy you some gear. Especially, as many shops make you to dive the brands they are selling. I always like the for sale adverts: Selling my XX brand regs that are a year old cause the shop I work at sells YY regs and I have to dive those regs.

many shops make you to dive the brands they are selling

This. Don't go off any buy gear until you know where you will be working, so you know which brand of gear you should buy. Also, many shops will offer you a deal on their gear if you are teaching for them. I would hold off on your purchase for now.

I will also say that high performance gear is not needed for anything through the IDC - just functional gear. As long as it works and you can still have it serviced appropriately, there is no reason to replace it now. Most of the diving done through the IDC is all done in shallow water, and doesn't even require the use of a computer. You won't be at any kind of disadvantage by having older or starter type gear.

Thank for the info. I wasnt planning on buying the best or anything. I have older Sea Quest and I am just thinking ahead about repairs. Parts could be hard to find for my regs.

if you go pro, the shop you are working for will likely want you using whatever gear they sell, so keep that in mind. They will usually offer it to you just over their cost. If the gear can't be serviced then deal with that issue if/when you come to it, but if it works, hold onto it.

Back
Top Bottom