SeaTec Original Manta BC - any info/advise?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tabbykatt3

Supporting Member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My daughter, a rescue level diver currently in a dive master program, is looking at a SeaTec Original Manta BC. I, a web junky, can find virtually nothing online about this BC except for the manufacture's limited website, ebay listings and a couple items on ScubaBoard. My daughter is small at 5'2" and 120 lbs. She has excellent bouyancy control and is an extremely cautious/conservative diver (puts me to shame on both these topics).

Any info, advice and/or recommendations?

Any experience with this BC and/or company?

Any experience as a female diver for fit?

Thx.

Had one for years. Great jacket BC. Stepped up to a backplate and wings from it, and never looked back.

Roak

Tabbykatt3:
My daughter, a rescue level diver currently in a dive master program, is looking at a SeaTec Original Manta BC. I, a web junky, can find virtually nothing online about this BC except for the manufacture's limited website, ebay listings and a couple items on ScubaBoard. My daughter is small at 5'2" and 120 lbs. She has excellent bouyancy control and is an extremely cautious/conservative diver (puts me to shame on both these topics).

Any info, advice and/or recommendations?

Any experience with this BC and/or company?

Any experience as a female diver for fit?

Thx.

My husband used SeaTecs for years. His original SeaTec must be at least 12 years old. (He now uses a DiveRite.)

They are a sturdy, well-built BC, but since the manufacturer's focus seems to be more on its military business, customer service for recreational dive customers gets put to the back of the line.

However, that being said, when they DO get around to their Rec customers, the service is very good.

FYI, SeaTec is one of the few jacket style BCs that are made up to fit big guys like Pearce (XXXL). Unfortunately, I have no idea about how well they fit women.

Personally, I have an Aeris Atmost XT, which is a hybrid BCD: mostly back inflate, but with some side wrap. It also has excellent lift (espcially good for supporting students at the surface).

Bonne chance,

do you daughter a good turn and buy a new BC from a shop where she can be fitted propertly. if she is going thru a course then they will probably let her try it out in the pool. I'm not into buying used equipment off E Bay ...... too many things can go wrong with it. By the time you pay the bid price, shipping, inspection and repair by your local shop you could have had a new one almost.

roakey:
Had one for years. Great jacket BC. Stepped up to a backplate and wings from it, and never looked back.

Roak
Thank you for the feedback.

SubMariner:
My husband used SeaTecs for years. His original SeaTec must be at least 12 years old. (He now uses a DiveRite.)

They are a sturdy, well-built BC, but since the manufacturer's focus seems to be more on its military business, customer service for recreational dive customers gets put to the back of the line.

However, that being said, when they DO get around to their Rec customers, the service is very good.

FYI, SeaTec is one of the few jacket style BCs that are made up to fit big guys like Pearce (XXXL). Unfortunately, I have no idea about how well they fit women.

Personally, I have an Aeris Atmost XT, which is a hybrid BCD: mostly back inflate, but with some side wrap. It also has excellent lift (espcially good for supporting students at the surface).

Bonne chance,

Thank you for sharing your experience.

scubapro50:
do you daughter a good turn and buy a new BC from a shop where she can be fitted propertly. if she is going thru a course then they will probably let her try it out in the pool. I'm not into buying used equipment off E Bay ...... too many things can go wrong with it. By the time you pay the bid price, shipping, inspection and repair by your local shop you could have had a new one almost.
Sorry for the confusion, this would not be an e-bay buy but direct from the manufacturer. However, your advise is very appropriate and appreciated.

I've had only great experiences with SeaTec Manta's over the years. Comfortable and very easy to travel with due to the soft backpack. Just got another one for my son for his first BC.

rbidkid,

Welcome aboard. Glad you were checking posts and provided me this response. Hope you find the board as valuable as I have. You won't see many requests from me since most of my questions to date already had a wealth of material in prior threads.

Kurt

I have owned my Seatec Manta since 1986 and have made over 4000 dives with it. I don't believe there has ever been a better BC on the market. I bought it first year it was marketed. Then it was made of a canvas material. I believe that for a few years after it was made from a polyester material which did not hold up and had alot of problems with both the stitching and the material itself. If you find one of these I would stay away from it. Afterwards, seatec did switch back to canvas. The seatec manta was the preferred BC used by the navy and I believe it still is; and that Seatec focuses more on the military (at least with this BC) than the recreational sector.
The Manta is THE BEST. I have used it from recreational shore diving to wreck diving over 250 feet and have never had a problem. It is secure, form fitting, comfortable, strong, and versatile.
Mine is 23 years old now and with over 4000 dives I'd like to keep on using it but realistically it's time to retire it.
I don't think I'll ever find another BC that would stand that test of time.
If you are really interested in getting a Manta for her, rest assured, nothing else will come close. If you research it on the internet you'll find reviews on the Seatec Manta quoting it as "The legendary Seatec Manta".
You can still buy this BC brand new but it does have a hefty pricetag. About $1200 the last time I looked it up on the web. As someone responded earlier you she should have a new BC as opposed to a used on. Good Luck! If you do get her a new one she'll be one lucky girl.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom