Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.

Thread: Webbing: glue?

Registered

is tired of being tired.

Dives
    25 - 49
    Photos

Webbing: glue?

hey all

Re: my Triple-L Stratos BCD with its silly elastic front strap...

Obviously the strap has to go. Marek offered a nifty but somewhat bulky solution involving good old 1.5" flat nylon webbing and slides, to avoid the pain of having to get the thing properly stitched (an ordinary domestic sewing machine won't cut it, or just barely).

WELL

It just occurred to me that since that front strap isn't holding a ton of tension, that a compact and reasonably rigid attachment could be made with some kind of strong adhesive or chemical bonding/solvent agent. The first thing that popped into my head was to use hot glue from one of those electric glue guns. What the heck, it seems pretty strong. But I'm sure there are others...

So I field the question to you: is gluing nylon webbing a viable alternative to stitching for this application, and if yes, are there any better adhesives or whatevers that you'd recommend? The requirements are a reasonably strong bond that won't be harmed by use in the water, will last for a while, and not require a whole lot of glue (ie take up lots of physical space). Thank yall for your expertise...

cheers

Billy S.
    >INSERT HAMBURGER IN DRIVE A:\

Registered

Has not set a "status"

I take small stuff to a little mom and pops tack shop here that does sewing in the back. It would probably cost about 5 bucks to sew something like that here. might look into something like that rather than glueing.

Registered

is tired of being tired.

Dives
    25 - 49
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by kaboom1371
    I take small stuff to a little mom and pops tack shop here that does sewing in the back. It would probably cost about 5 bucks to sew something like that here. might look into something like that rather than glueing.
    True true, that is an option, probably the best option. I just don't know where to find these kinds of operations in my town, that'll just sew whatever you want sewn...what heading in the Yellow Pages would I want to look under, do you think?

cheers

Billy S.

ScubaBoard Enthusiast

Has not set a "status"

Go to any shoe repair place or harness maker (for horses.)

Registered

is tired of being tired.

Dives
    25 - 49
    Photos
    Thanks for all the input folks. A quick look at the Yellow Pages showed me that several of the local shoe repair places also do luggage repair, handbags, etc... one even specifically advertised "heavy sewing." Who woulda thunk it? So thanx for turning me onto that. I'll probably buy the webbing and perhaps a slide or two myself and just have the repair guy duplicate what's already on there.

Now, my usual assortment of questions, which I know have been touched on in previous posts related to the Stratos Strap Saga:

1) www.strapworks.com mentions that nylon webbing isn't good in wet applications as it stretches, and polypropylene webbing is better in this kind of application. However, Marek told me he got nylon webbing for his DIY Stratos strap replacement project. Question is, can anyone confirm whether poly or nylon is what the manufacturers use on BCDs, dive belts, etc.?

2) Is there a practical reason why Triple-L would have put an elastic strap on the front of the Stratos, and since I have very limited exposure to other BCDs, is this something that's very common? And is replacing this with poly webbing something I in fact want to do?

3) Have any Stratos (or other BCDs, as it were) owners had any experiences either good or bad with the elastic straps?

Okay, I'll shut up now...the conch is yours, gentlepersons.

cheers

Billy S.