Housing Rebel XTI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharkbait69

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello to all! This is my first post on the board. I have seen similar to what i'm about to ask but here goes any ways and thank you in advance. I'm unsure of what housing mfg. to purchase. I've looked at S&S, Seatool, Nexus. I"ve read that a couple of functions on S&S don't work(menu and delete), seatool doesn't have wide angle ports, and i don't know anything about nexus. being new to underwater photo, i thought most of my pic. to start w/ will be of my lovely wife,wrecks and thing of that nature. would wide angle be the route to take for now, then i'm sure i'll want to take some macro later on. what would be a good lens to start out with? i appreciate any help.

I use an Ikelite housing on my 350D and it has taken a lot of abuse for over 700 dives and works great. There are sexier aluminum housings out there but if bang for the buck is what you're looking for, Ike fits the bill. I also use two of the DS-125 strobes.

Underwater Housing for Canon 400-D Digital Rebel XTi

A 60mm or 100mm for macro and the 10-22mm for WA are the lenses I use now.

It's possible to modify a 350D/Rebel XT housing to fit the 400D/XTi. I know Pakman was using an S&S 350D housing for his 400D. A few small mods will allow you to use all the controls, but to be honest, I don't think menu and delete are all that essential (though I still wonder why they were omitted by S&S).

Not sure if I can answer your wide angle question, but I find myself using macro far more often, but that depends on your diving. I use a an EF-100mm macro and an EF-S 10-22mm for WA, though I'm using an Ike housing (350D housing modded for the 400D). I have seen amazing results with the 60mm macro lens too. Dennis has some great shots, as does Alcina. Currently using an Inon Z240 and a D2000W for strobes.

Z...

thanks diver dennis i have looked @ ikelite but dive inst. steered me away said he's had a couple and both have flooded. I know that is going to happen with any mfg. at some point, i think i want to go with aluminun. would a standard 20mm be o.k or is there more veritility w/ 10-22mm

It's more about skill Dennis, you prove that every time you take your rig down :)

Z...

Sharkbait - you are better off figuring out which lenses you are likely to use, then see who has ports that work with all of them.

Floods are more often user error,and if you keep your eye on the rig, you should be able to catch it before it's too late. But it really can happen to anyone, any time, anywhere..

My only gripe with the ike is the sync cables, I would much prefer optical cables for triggering my strobes, but I don't use TTL.

Z...

thanks diver dennis i have looked @ ikelite but dive inst. steered me away said he's had a couple and both have flooded. I know that is going to happen with any mfg. at some point, i think i want to go with aluminun. would a standard 20mm be o.k or is there more veritility w/ 10-22mm

Just remember that 99% of all floods are user error. Don't let one opinion steer you clear of Ikelite. Do some research and you'll find there are no more floods with one manufacturer over another generally. That said, I do like aluminum housings but they are pretty pricy and I would not sacrifice having dual strobes for having a sexy housing but if cash is no problem, aluminum will work fine.

I would go with the 10-22mm, I use it on land as well. Terrific lens. There is also a Tokina lens out there, a 10-17mm? that has produced excellent results.

@Zee: Thank you sir...

Sharkbait69.

I agree 100% with Dennis, I have and use a Canon XTI with Ike-lite housing and strobes.

I have always used Ike-lite housings for all of my Cameras and I have NEVER had a flood or leak of any type.

Ike-lite housings are very rugged and dependable and I use nothing else.

Just my 2 cents worth.:D

Oh Hey Welcome to Scubaboard....... Glad you found us!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom