Canon 570 and add-on lenses...moved from 570vs720 thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jdfmail

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I actually just got the 570 and housing. It's discontinued but I found one. Paid about $300. I'm planning on buying an INON AD lens. Question...Which would be the first of the INON AD lenses that you would buy for this setup? Which would be the second? If I got the 165AD fisheye would there be any reason to buy the 105AD WA? Is the fisheye a big step up from the 105AD? I don't think I know what the results would be with these two lenses or more accurately what the difference in results would be. Thanks in advance for any help here.

Jon

IMO since I have both, don't bother with the 105, just get the 165AD FE.

The 105 tends to vignette slightly so I have to zoom in slightly. It is a still a much wider view than without, much wider but the 165FE is that much wider again and has much less tendenscy to vignette. You do have to watch stray side lighting, keep the strobe behind the dome, be carefull not to take pictures of your own fins (it is that wide), try not to shoot into strong lights sources etc. You say sure, no problem, but just keep in mind that with a huge 165 degree field of view that can be a challenge.

The 105 has an underwater view of 105 degrees, zoomed very slightly it is still around 90 degrees and the camera alone without lens (native) is about 40 degrees or maybe 45 degrees at most. The 165 is just that, 165 degrees of view or in practical use maybe around 158 to 160 degrees.

The second lens might be the macro 165, if you like that sort of thing, not that there is anything wrong with macro, just yawn.

There has been some discussion that the 105 is sharper than the 165, I remain unconvinced and not impressed.

N

Thanks for the info Nemrod. I was wondering if you have any pictures to share that might demonstrate these lenses. I'd love to see what these lenses can do.

Last edited:
I have posted a bunch of pics. The thing is I was so impressed with the 165FE and so not impressed with the 105WA that most everything I have shot has been through the 165FE. N

I am not sure these pictures are what I say, I don't write stuff down but this is what I recall.

No wet mount lens, camera only at about 10 feet from subject:

IMG_0523.jpg

Inon 105 at about 6 feet:

IMG_0509.jpg

Inon 165FE at about 4 feet or less:

IMG_0511_edited-1.jpg

Those were all shot in the same location, just kind of pointing slightly one way or another different or moving over a few feet.

Inon 165FE:

IMG_0206.jpg

One thing, the 105WA can be used above water, the 165FE can though Inon says it cannot be used above the surface. The image is a bit blurry and distorted.

This is at Ginnie Springs, I was on my elbows just above the rim of this chimney and yet with the 165FE you can see the entire structure.:

P3280153.jpg

And of course since the 165FE is not a rectilinear lens (straight lines are rendered as curved in a fisheye lens) you can get these weird fisheye effects:

IMG_0375_edited-1.jpg

IMG_0298.jpg

N

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom