FINALLY! Got G10 Underwater...Pictures Posted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GLENFWB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I finally got my G10 underwater today. I experimented with numerous settings. I only have one strobe right now while my other one is being repaired. Also, reading ScubaBoard saved me some time and frustration today. At the beginning of my dive for some reason my camera would not take a picture. Everything worked...the shutter just would not trigger. All of a sudden I remembered reading where someone posted about the zoom handle staying engaged, and how this would not allow a picture to be taken. I checked it, and was releived to find that this is exactly what was happening. I moved the knob and didn't have any further issues.
I appreciate whoever it was that posted that helpful hint.

Pictures were taken today, 12/27/08 at Vortex Spring, Ponce DeLeon, Florida

Brimcavern.jpg

KevinFish.jpg

sunlight.jpg

decotank.jpg

blackwhitedivers.jpg

Kevin-2.jpg

Brim.jpg

Brimupclose.jpg

Looking good Glen! Can't wait for next weekend, I'm trying to nag my wife into letting me get a strobe before next weekend :) My case gets here Monday!

Oh come on...just "man-up" and get the strobe. My wife doesn't tell me what to do....she also doesn't read ScubaBoard!:D So, I am safe!:dork2:

Looking good Glen! Can't wait for next weekend, I'm trying to nag my wife into letting me get a strobe before next weekend :) My case gets here Monday!

Nice and clear

I have the Ikelite G10 housing. This was the first time I had it in the water. All of the functions on the camera are available via the housing. It is a lot of stuff jammed on to a housing...but so far it seems to work. My only problem was turning the wrong knob a few times. Even though I am familiar with the camera...not grabbing the wrong knob underwater was a little challenging.

Out of curiosity, I am interested in what housing you are using.

Glen:
Congrats on the housing, and nice pics. So I guess now I have to ask Joe to go ahead and order a housing for my G10.
Question - having read your other thread about "settings", what did you wind up using for those pics?
Thanks
Tom

Thanks Tom. I am enjoying the housing. Joe gave me a great deal and I received mine in the first group that Ikelite released.

I experimented with a lot of settings. I set the two shortcut keys to the two settings that Ikelite suggested. I felt like their Macro settings were pretty close...although I did play with the F stops some. I could not use the TTL function of the camera on this dive, so I really couldn't test that function. I had to manually set my strobe so that was hit and miss...but I started to find out what the camera liked best.

I have post below the settings that Ikelite suggests. I am going to use the TTL function with my strobe this weekend. We have some cavern diving planned so I will get to test it in some clear...but dark conditions.

Ikelite suggests the following settings:
  • Set ISO to 80
  • Set camera mode dial to AV. Shutter speed automatically goes to 1/60
  • Set Flash to On
  • General photography set aperature to f3.5
  • For Macro set aperature to f8.0
  • Set White Balance to Auto
  • Set image size to "L" and compression to "S" superfine
  • Set metering to "Center Weighted Avg"
  • In the camera menu set the "ND" Filter to "Cancel"

Glen:
Congrats on the housing, and nice pics. So I guess now I have to ask Joe to go ahead and order a housing for my G10.
Question - having read your other thread about "settings", what did you wind up using for those pics?
Thanks
Tom

Glen, I am not sure of the other settings, but I would set the size to RAW instead of L. It will give you a lot more flexibility for post processing and you can still have the Large JPEGS if you wantL

Yes, I personally shoot everything in RAW...that was one of my main reasons for getting the G10 was the ability to do RAW.

Glen, I am not sure of the other settings, but I would set the size to RAW instead of L. It will give you a lot more flexibility for post processing and you can still have the Large JPEGS if you wantL

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom