INON AD28 mount base for WP-DC35 - First Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dogdrjohn

Contributor
Reaction score
I received my INON mount base for my Canon WP-DC35 today from Yuzo Kanda of UWDigital.com. As was reported on another thread, the AD28 mount is attached to the aluminum mount with 6 small screws and the openingin the base is about the same diameter as the plastic lens mount - approx 48-49mm. It should not be that hard to attach a 48-56mm threaded ring to the mount as long as the ring is thick enough in width and depth to be drilled and tapped for the screws. The screws are about 60mm apart across the middle, so a 67mm ring would be a challenge. I don't really see a big advantage to a threaded mount, unless of course someone already has threaded lenses. The mount was delivered at work and the camera and housing are at home so I have not had a chance to try it on the housing yet. The mount is nice thick aluminum and the "cold" shoe is a nice addition. I will add a Epoque flex hot shoe mount with an INON LE holder and two LE-550W lights I also just received, then top that with my D2000 strobe and a fisheye focus light in a Goodman glove over the strobe for a compact system, or attach it to a regular tray and handle setup to get the strobe and lights farther away from the camera. The lights are nice and bright (supposed to be 550 lumen each), with a very diffuse wide beam, especially with the little diffuser lens added, or the pink or orange lenses INON recommends for use with certain camera brands to help color reproduction. I will be taking the whole setup to Dauin Philippines 2 weeks from Saturday and will post pictures when I have them. I only have UCL-165AD macro and UWL-105AD wide lenses, but my friend from California who I will meet there has a recently purchased UFL-165AD, so will try to borrow it from him when I can and report on how the camera/housing/mount works with all three lenses. Just having the strobe and lights on the little flex hot shoe mount will help eliminate the shadowing of the internal strobe by port. I plan to try still photographs with just the INON lights as well as with the strobe, and may also try mounting my Hartenberger Mini Electronic light on the flex hot shoe mount for the warm color rendition a halogen light provides. I will try some above water photos at home tonight, maybe even in the hot tub.

Well I picked up the 28AD mount base last week from Reef photo, so here are some pictures of it mounted to the WP-DC35.

DSC_3204.jpg

DSC_3206.jpg

DSC_3208.jpg

Per Inon:

" The 28AD Mount Base・DC35 enables you to install INON 28AD Mount series attachment lens.
28AD mount series attachment lens lineup consists UWL-100 28AD wide conversion lens to shoot wider area
and its super wide option Dome Lens Unit for UWL-100 (*5). AD Mount series UCL-165AD close-up lens to shorten minimum shooting distance, is also usable. INON supports to shoot all different type of subject from semi fish-eye to ultra macro with simple and reliable system (*5).

(*5)
Vignetting on every corners. Crop an image or zoom towards to telephoto side little bit to eliminate vignetting.
[Dome Spacer for UWL-100 28AD] is necessary to attach on to [UWL-100 28AD]."

INON NEWS: Accessory for Canon PowerShot S90

Per Inon the only wide angle lens that will work with this combination is the WAL100-28AD with or without the dome. But, we have been here before, interesting to see if you guys can mount the 165AD fisheye lens, that would be nice.

N

Per Inon the only wide angle lens that will work with this combination is the WAL100-28AD with or without the dome. But, we have been here before, interesting to see if you guys can mount the 165AD fisheye lens, that would be nice.

N

Well maybe dogdrjohn can find a local UFL to try soon -- my vacation comes too soon behind his, to wait until then for compatibility feedback. :)

OK, I tried my UWL-105 AD and it vignettes badly, significantly worse than on my home made AD adaptor using a Fuji F30 mount base, but so much more secure. I probably had to zoom to 45mm to eliminate vignetting -two nudges of the zoom lever below 50mm and the corners are just starting to show vignetting. A little wider than stock at 28mm, and certainly more fisheye-like. UCL-165AD macro seems to work OK without INON's little adaptor for AD28 mount base - that should come next week from Reef. With no external lens or flash the INON diffuser seems to work better than the stock Canon one on macro shots. I imagine the WAL100-28AD will work quite a bit better, especially with the heavy glass dome, but that is another $750 that I would rather spend next week at the New Orleans Jazz Festival, and the week after diving in the Philippines.

I was able to take the AD28 mount off the mount base and attach the 67mm ring from an Epoque "universal" 67mm adaptor. They each attach with 6 small screws, and the holes ALMOST match up perfectly, but the mismatch actually helps because the INON AD mount screwed on from the back and the Epoque from the front. There was enough mismatch to start the screws and then they "cut" their own threads and seem VERY secure without needing nuts on the back or front. I will need to cut them shorter to allow the mount to fit on the lens port, and I may add another couple of self-tapping screws in new holes for a more secure fit, or even drill an entire new set of holes. I will also have to do a little drilling to allow the air/water vents to do their thing.

Does anyone know the depth-of-field of the FIX UWL-04 lens? Nemrod says he loves the INON UFL-165AD because it focuses from zero to infinity without changing focus, greatly reducing shutter lag. Will the FIX 04 do that as well?

So I finally got a DC35 for the S90 but am still considering the FIX housing.

Am looking at having to pick up the28AD Mount, UCL165AD and the UWL100 28AD

Has anyone tried this combination out in the water? I have read about some vignetting issues and the rear elements of the lenses actually making contact with the front of the DC35 Housing. Are they real issues and/or are they easily overcome?

Was thinking of just using the DC35 for snorkeling. Bite the bullet and get the FIX and set it up with the INON UCL165AD and the UFL165AD. Which seems to be the better but more expensive route to a more complete (macro / wide) setup. Already have the s2000 to match it up with. Might get another s2000 later on as well.

I'm using the DC35/Inon 28AD mount. As it came, I found that the AD lenses UCL165AD and UFL165AD would bottom out against the housing port. After careful measurements, I made a shim, which I place between the housing port bezel and the mount -- actually, I put it in the mount before slipping the mount onto the housing snout. In my case, the shim is about 0.04" = 1mm, and it could not have been less than about 0.8mm without the lens hitting the port. As a result of the shim, I also had to elongate the two thumbscrew holes that connect the two parts of the Inon mount by the same amount, 1mm.

An alternative would be to remove the 6 tiny screws that hold the 28AD ring to the mount, put the shim there; no need to elongate the holes that way. Downside is that you lose about 25% of the screw thread depth into that plastic ring, which is fine for the close-up lens, but I would worry about the weight of the larger lens, but I don't really know.

How does the dc35 28ad adapter attach to the bottom of the housing? Can this interfere with the bolt for a strobe tray?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom