WP-DC38 for s95

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jgoodstein

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
SO I pulled the trigger and bought the s95 and here's why:
1. They fixed the free spinning wheel on the back
2. They added 720p video (for on land)
3. My wife is thrilled that I don't have to carry around my dSLR's and all the lenses and flashes when all we need is a snapshot.
4. It meets my basic specs for all cameras (Raw, good iso range and decent lens)

I bought the WP-DC38 as well. I was looking at the ikelite version, but when I was ordering I couldn't find it in stock at my preferred vendors, and I needed it by a certain date. I realize that this may end up being a compromise, but it was one I needed to take. I'm fine with it for now and I have flood insurance so if the worst happens I'll upgrade then.

My next purchase is a handle and strobe and am looking for advice and recommendation. I will buy 1 in the next month or so and add a second shortly after.
One of my stipulations on the strobes is that I be able to use them with my higher end cameras as well (50D and 5dMII). I'm looking for your recommendations

Finally I am interested in adding the ability to use wet lenses on my s95, is this possible what are the things I need to purchase in order to get this functionality on the DC38. I believe I need to start with something like the inon 28AD mount base, but not sure if there are other items i will need from canon or if there is a better system out there for me.

Thanks for being patient with me as I am converting from land to water photography

You will want a strobe and it will most likely be a dedicated underwater one. The sea & sea and Inon strobes work very well with sTTL on the Canon Housings.

Check out the inon web site and see how their system works for most OEM housings.

INON TOP

Am not sure if they have come out with mounts for the 28AD mount for the s95 and if it will work with the s95's 24mm Lens without vignetting issues.

Since you bought the housing and camera already, you will have to wait and see how inon will come out with products to adapt their existing line to the DC-38.

I have an s2000 and am extremely satisfied with its power size and battery life.

You will most likely want the UCL-165 close-up lens and ideally the UFL-165 Wide Angle Lens. Am sure they will eventually make a mount for the for the DC38 and the UCL-165. The Wide angle may be more complicated since the UFL-165 is designed for a 35mm (equivalent) lens vs. the S95s 24mm

The 24mm might be wide enough for your needs so I would recommend getting a strobe first then build on that.

The S95 is 28mm, not 24mm.

The Inon UFL165AD may work with one or two notches of zoom.

The Inon UWL100-28AD with or witout the dome kit is the intended lens for the Inon mount.

You can use any tray really with ingenuity. The Inon 28AD mount is intended for the Inon handle/tray but you can use a UCLS type.

I prefer the Inon D2000 to the S2000 unless absolute small size is important, not as if the D2000 were not a mini strobe, just not a sub-mini strobe.

Right now NOTHING is offered for the DC-38, I imagine that will change.

I am not terribly impressed with the Ikelite housing for this camera and neutral to mildly negative on Canon OEM housings in general.

N

Here is a couple of shots of the Canon WP-DC38 with INON 28AD Mount for WP-DC35. I love this setup. I plan on getting another strobe and wide angle lens. I hope the FIX housing comes out for the S95.

DPP07DA0A02092F40.jpg
[/IMG]
DPP07DA0A02093329.jpg
[/IMG]

I thought I read somewhere it was 24mm. My mistake. Well, that would be good news then since the 28ad would work exactly as it does for the DC35 which I have for the S90. I got it set up but ended up getting the fix housing so it is now just kinda like a back up.

Looks like sw_scuba's rig uses the 28ad mount for the dc35.

Here is a couple of shots of the Canon WP-DC38 with INON 28AD Mount for WP-DC35. I love this setup. I plan on getting another strobe and wide angle lens. I hope the FIX housing comes out for the S95.

Does the mount come with the flash to optical cable portion as well? Cause I will buy the mount and flash and then add lenses as $$ becomes available. Light is definitely my first priority.

It seems like this is a good start then I can pull the lights off and attach to my bigger cameras for work!

Does the mount come with the flash to optical cable portion as well? Cause I will buy the mount and flash and then add lenses as $$ becomes available. Light is definitely my first priority.

It seems like this is a good start then I can pull the lights off and attach to my bigger cameras for work!

Hey underwater photography, if you really wanna play, it is expensive even at the entry level.

You need to purchase the Inon optical cable, about 75 dollars, the strobe nor housing comes with one. The Inon lens mount adapter does include the optical plug to insert the raw end of the cable into, the cap end screws onto the Inon strobe and you are cooking with gas.

N

You should be happy with that setup for some time to come. When deciding on a strobe, take a look at this page:

Underwater Strobe Comparison Guide - Digital Diver Network

A very convenient way to compare features and specs.

If you are thinking of using Ike housings in the future, then you should strongly consider getting Ike strobes, if you can make them work with what you have now. I am not an Ike guy, so I don't know.

Otherwise, I am very pleased with Inon strobes. If you want maximum versatility, get the Z240. Otherwise the D2000 or S2000 should meet your needs for now and actually can be used with more sophisticated setups later. They will all sync with the Canon using a fiber optic cable.

The Inon S2000 is very compact. My son uses one and it makes for a very small outfit when paired with a small housing and camera. An S95 in the OEM or Fix housing, with an Inon S2000 on a ULCS bracket with single handle makes for a very nice, compact underwater camera. You might later wish for more power or a wider light distribution, but might not, and can always pair it with a stronger flash later. Also clean used Inon strobes are not hard to sell.

Edit: I just realized there is a picture from SW scuba of the setup I am describing a few posts back in this thread. Sorry for the duplicate information.

Have fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom