S95 in Canon housing, problems with settings in Manual Mode

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Carl-Johan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all, my first post. Have not got the housing yet but since it does not support the 'Control dial' on back i will have major problems setting manual focus, aperture and shutter speed in Manual Mode. Does anybody know what buttons to push, like in this post: scubaboard.com/forums/4642708-post2 (as a new member the forum do not allow me to post links, it's post 2 in the "Canon Sticky - here are the bits you need" thread)

Last edited:
Figured it out. Need to hold the S-button and push left/right to change the settings. A huge disadvantage since almost only shooting In Manual Mode with my non TTL Sealife flashes. Better get a Fix S90, RecSea S95 Housing or grow a 3rd arm.

Holding the S button and pushing left or right is not that big of a deal. You get used to it after a while and its not a problem for me:)

Holding the S button and pushing left or right is not that big of a deal. You get used to it after a while and its not a problem for me:)

Guess the 'holding S' and 'pushing left' can be done with one hand but 2 will be needed for 'S and right'. Will attribute the front dial to manual focus and change aperture and shutter speed with left/right buttons. Still a drag though since i change settings a lot.

Guess the 'holding S' and 'pushing left' can be done with one hand but 2 will be needed for 'S and right'. Will attribute the front dial to manual focus and change aperture and shutter speed with left/right buttons. Still a drag though since i change settings a lot.

I do the same on my G10 Canon housing. Got use to it real quick when I look at the price of the more expensive housings that have the dial on the rear :D. Even the Ikelite housing does not have the rear dial for the S90 or S95.

I know you only have one custom setting on your S95 whereas I have two on my G10 but you can make it easier if you use your Custom setting for your non-strobe shots and your M or Av or Tv setting for your strobe shots or vice-versa.

I do the same on my G10 Canon housing. Got use to it real quick when I look at the price of the more expensive housings that have the dial on the rear :D. Even the Ikelite housing does not have the rear dial for the S90 or S95.

I know you only have one custom setting on your S95 whereas I have two on my G10 but you can make it easier if you use your Custom setting for your non-strobe shots and your M or Av or Tv setting for your strobe shots or vice-versa.

Yup, have made some favourite settings. The Fix and RecSea is a bit too expensive. Always been very happy with the Canon housing for the A710is, pretty easy to service despite not able to find spare parts (exept for the door O-ring). Eagerly awaiting CHDK for the S95 as well, works very good with the A710is.

That little S95 does just about everything. What could a CHDK do for it? :D

For starters, a extremly good battery indicator that beats Canons own with 1000 miles. You can choose between actual voltage left or show it in procent, do your own voltage interval settings for low batt warning and so on. Another biggie to me is the optical zoom when shooting movies. Never use digital zoom for pics nor video. Lots of other settings that the Digic IV processor supports can be used with CHDK, not many of them are a big gain to us UW-guys though.

Edit: If the CHDK for S95 will include optical zoom in video nobody knows yet. It's all up to the enthusiasts that is doing the CHDK. I'm sadly not one of them:D

Last edited:
Just me I am sure but loss of control over the rear ring is crippling IMO to the camera and not acceptable. Sure, you can work around it but I have found punching buttons and holding buttons while pushing other buttons underwater to be inhibiting and frustrating.

The control is there for a reason and I would not consider any housing that does not support it.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom