Convince me to buy the INON UFL-M150 micro fisheye for my S95

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Layla

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I want to get a macro lens for my next trip, I already have the wide angle + dome port + strobes

I've read most of the posts on the INON UFL-M150 micro fisheye on SB and looked at the pictures posted around the web
As I have a few camera shop vouchers to spend .... should I get the UFL-M150 or one or two x regular macro lens + stack them

Ozzi, your pictures are great ... thanks

Layla,

What adapter do you have for the S95 and which housing do you have?

I have the M150 and cant fully recommend it. Am still familiarizing myself with it and find the corners of the images are soft. Interesting perspective but not a good general purpose lens. I think if you are the type who has a specific image in mind before you even start the dive. This would be ok. Otherwise I would recommend regular macro lenses.

For AD Mount - which is what I have - INON UCL165Ads are great. I have 2 of them and almost always use them stacked.

For M67 - the impression I have is the Subsee +10s and +5s are the lenses to get. Reports are that they are easier to focus and with longer working distance than the Inons.

Hey Ozzi

I use the Canon housing with the LD mount

I'm going to Komodo next year and wanted to do some macro stuff
I like the idea of having the foreground subject in focus and a destracting item in the distance to show a little depth
I don't like doing pictures like '... here's a nudi which fills the whole frame'

But I don't want to spend 500$ and then another another 300$ on two x macro lens because actually the M150 just doesn't work

Thanks ... L

Last edited:
Layla,

I know what you mean about critter ID photos : )

The perspective of this lens places the subject in it's surroundings and that is what makes it so unique. I think that is also what makes it so challenging to use. The at they could pull it off optically seems to be an engineering feat in itself. I think there is much more to improve but it is a start.

There have been a few posts but not much considering the excitement the lens generated when it was first announced. Perhaps the others that have bought the lens have not yet mastered its use.

Here is a link to a website by a Japanese photographer that pioneered work in this type of lens. I understand that he is/was involved with Inon's development of their lens. He also has a lens that serves the same purpose. Am not sure which came first though.

Web ƒ^ƒJƒWƒ“f‚“

http://www.pacificblueasia.com/jp/download/totome_1.pdf

Should give you some idea of the design concepts and the intended application. I noted that the images in the website are quite interesting but also do have soft corners which seems to be a limitation that has not yet been overcome.

Thanks Ozzi

Yes, I think you already posted this website on one of your previous posts

I've just looked and actually I have the LD mount on the Canon Housing

I'm going to a camera shop tomorrow in London, so I'll ask them what they think of it

Have a lovely weekend ... L

Hi Layla

If you want more of a close focus wide angle you pull back a couple of clicks on the zoom. If you want a more straight macro lens shot - the zoom in the max. Once you get the focus correct then its all go. Folks that have problems with this lens may not have had enough exposure or understanding of the zoom intricacies. It would certainly be easier to use than the DSLR version which looks like a mini pole sticking out of the camera. Its also more compact and light compared to the ucl-165s. And I have 2 of them as well as the Insect Eye. The best is to have at least 2 different macro lenses in your arsenal so youre not restricted.

Heres a couple of shots taken with them.

IMG_55531-C.jpg

IMG_54801-C.jpg

Hi Gavin,

What camera and housing are you using with the UFL-M150 ? Can you post more shots you have taken with the UFL-M150 ? I seriously need to spend more time with the lens underwater and would appreciate any more observations about the use and set up of the lens.

Thanks in advance.

So how comes this lens doesn't work on distant subjects? Does it have a negative inside the focal length to produce an upright image which the camera lens focuses on?

ozziworld, sorry I forgot to insert that I use the S90 in a Fix housing. You can check my other photos in my signature links. The Sipadan/Mabul gallery uses the ZM80 for macro closeups throughout the whole trip. This was my first time using it and TBH it was a real challenge but you get used to what it can do. I would have liked more time around Mabul to use it more though. I left my UCL-165 in the bag pretty much as I wanted to get as much practice in with the ZM80. If you have a look at Lembeh I used only the twin stacked 165s. I'll be honest here to say you can get some ghosting around the edges of the minidome on some shots, but than can be cropped out.

bvanant is that video shot by DSLR using UFL-MR130 EFS60? If its the ZM80 with the compact Id be very impressed.

The photo below is shot with the ZM80. It does make this tiny crocodile fish from Mabul look a lot bigger than it is.

IMG_55011-1-C.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom