WP-DC38 Broken Latch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikey1299

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have a WP-DC38 that has a broken latch. It still closes, but could be opened accidentally without the secure latch. Canon customer service has been less than helpful. Does anyone know if this is something that can be fixed?

I am looking to get rid of it as I acquired an Ikelite case, but it won't fetch top value in it's current shape.

latch.jpg

Not likely you can fix it or get Canon to.

I have a G10 housing with a crack in the orange portion of the latch. IMO the Canon housing latches being polycarbonate cannot repeatedly withstand the pressure of seating the O ring. Hindsight being 20-20 I prevented the same thing from happening with my G12 housing by simply closing the housing by hand then securing the latch.

Not likely you can fix it or get Canon to.

I have a G10 housing with a crack in the orange portion of the latch. IMO the Canon housing latches being polycarbonate cannot repeatedly withstand the pressure of seating the O ring. Hindsight being 20-20 I prevented the same thing from happening with my G12 housing by simply closing the housing by hand then securing the latch.

We had the same happen to us 2 days before a dive holiday!!! Went on holiday with just the G10, but have has 2 new latches sent to us from a brilliant company in England. They cost £35 for the 2 (they come in 2's so we bought both) If you have a G9 or G10 they are identical - part is called WP DC21 Buckle Assembly (the orange latch). Part number on bag is CY4-4533-000000 Buckle Assembly. I went into Canon UK and looked up all their repairers and emailed all and only this company came up with the goods. Try the same for your country. Details of shop we used:
Colchester Camera Repair Service, Tel 0044 1206 843322 Fax 0044 1206 843323 www.camera-repair.co.uk I just told them what the housing part number was and they came back with the ref etc. It was very easy to fix with the slide pins. We have changed out both latches on housings now for the G9 and G10. If still have problems let me know and can do some investigating fo you from here.
Regards Chris

We had the same happen to us 2 days before a dive holiday!!! Went on holiday with just the G10, but have has 2 new latches sent to us from a brilliant company in England. They cost £35 for the 2 (they come in 2's so we bought both) If you have a G9 or G10 they are identical - part is called WP DC21 Buckle Assembly (the orange latch). Part number on bag is CY4-4533-000000 Buckle Assembly. I went into Canon UK and looked up all their repairers and emailed all and only this company came up with the goods. Try the same for your country. Details of shop we used:
Colchester Camera Repair Service, Tel 0044 1206 843322 Fax 0044 1206 843323 www.camera-repair.co.uk I just told them what the housing part number was and they came back with the ref etc. It was very easy to fix with the slide pins. We have changed out both latches on housings now for the G9 and G10. If still have problems let me know and can do some investigating fo you from here.
Regards Chris

Thanks for that info Chris. I'll keep your info and name in case I ever need a canon "buckle assembly" :D. Right now I am using my G12. My G10 housing has a broken tripod mount which may or may not be able to be repaired. I will take it back to Maui in March as there is a plastics company there that I will take it to. It's not a big issue since the G10 camera is slowly dying. The monitor has dark corners but the pics are fine. I would not get it repaired as I have gotten my monies worth from it.

I have some shortcomings with Canon housings on MY WEBSITE that I learned from experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom