Functions in Canon U/W housings don't work properly below 10 meters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

limbo

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Having had a Ixy 80 with a WP-DC3 housing and currently an Ixy 85 or 25IS with a WP-DC23 housing, they both have the same problem, After a while the buttons just stop working if I go deeper than 10 meters.

Anybody else having a similar problem and are there any ways to fix this?

Any input is appreciated.

It sounds as if you have a button that might be sticking. Try checking the buttons in your living room to see if any are sticky. If so, simply lube with silicon grease and work it for a bit. The other thing it might be is the pressure pressing and holding a button down. In that case, you should probably contact Canon. I have had nothing but over-the-top positive encounters with Canon's customer service in the past.

Had my WP-DC35 at 155' in the blue hole in Belize with no problems. Sounds like it is time to lube your buttons. The latter part of this guide has some good information: Underwater Camera Maintenance

Last edited:
limbo,

Used to get the same 'sticking' buttons - but invested in a bottle of silicon oil, and a tiny drip applied to each button from the outside of the housing has elminated problem.

Cheers

Thanks every one for your advice, highly appreciated. Will start looking into a bottle of silicon oil as Wantonmien suggested, otherwise it's the more elaborate option of taking it apart and putting it together again without having a few parts left over.

One drop of pure food grade liquid silicone to the exterior of each plunger and wotk it in by pushing the plunger several times. I bought this one at a dive shop.

trident_silicone.jpg

I had a similar problem with my G10 and Canon housing. Below about 30' the macro button would hit the wrong place on the dial. I used the custom settings for macro and it solved my problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom