Canon WP-DC46 Housing for SX 260 HS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VAmtnguy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have been checking out pocket cameras that can also double as an underwater camera. The Canon SX 260 HS seems to fit the bill for everything that I want in a camera....decent price, 20X optic lens for land, 25 mm lens for underwater with good macro stats. But Canon does not list an underwater housing for that camera. I emailed them, and the response was that they do not make an underwater housing for the SX 260 HS.

I have been PMn a knowledgeable member here, and he has suggested the WP-DC46 housing. I typed that into the web search engine, and get all sorts of sites that sell the WP-46DC for the SX 240 HS/SX 260-HS. Don't know what exactly gives with that.

So, my question here, does anyone use the Canon WP-DC46 housing with a SX-260 HS, and if so what do you think if that combination and do all of the camera functions work ?? I also would be interested in those using the Ikelite housing with SX 260 HS.

Thanks, Chap

Last edited:
Anybody ??

I just received my WP-DC46 yesterday. I had previously purchased an Ikelite 6148.26, but there were a couple of things that I didn't like about it that led me to return it and go with the DC46.
1. It's big. 6.8" wide, 5" tall, 6.1" deep including the lens port. Weighs 2.9 lbs.
2. The right menu button is right next to a knob that controls the scrolling wheel. I had difficulty pressing it out of water without gloves, I can only imagine the difficulty I'd have underwater if I ever needed to use it.
3. The lens port was so large that it blocked the flash almost completely. Several sites have listed that as one of the major complaints. You would be better off using an external strobe.

The good part of it is it looked and felt well constructed. There were knobs and buttons for every option on the camera and every function of the camera was available.

I was able to get a hold of someone at Canon who confirmed that the WP-DC46 is indeed designed for the SX260 HS. The problem is that it's not available in the US. I went through Divervision.com to purchase it. I had the new housing a week later, not bad for a company out of Taiwan.

I can confirm that the DC46 is built for it, all of the buttons and knobs are available through the housing. The only one that is not is the scroll wheel under the menu buttons, but I consider that a minor inconvenience at best. Since there is no knob for that wheel, there is no obstruction to the menu buttons at all and everything is very easily accessible. It's also much smaller than the Ikelite housing. It fits the SX260 like a glove and it's not much larger than the camera itself.

I have not had a chance to dive with it yet, but I am heading down to Bonne Terre with this at the end of February. I'll post back my diving feedback with this new housing after that trip.

Todd, thanks for the reply.

Canon does not have their act together. Someone confirmed with you that that is the proper housing for the SX-260 HS, and someone there told me (via email) that there was not a housing made for the camera. I just noticed in their instruction manual on pgs. 32 and 33 under accessories, that the WP-DC46 is listed. Geez, wish I saw that before.

I found the housing online listed for the camera, but like you all of the websites seemed to be overseas. Go figure.

Not to take chances, especially after someone from Canon told me that there was not a Canon housing for the SX-260 HS, I went on and ordered the Ikelite 6146.26. I agree with everything you say....it is big, awkward, and the right menu button is hard to push. I can see the lens port blocking the flash.....but the Canon lens port looks just as imposing. Even Ikelite "suggests" zooming in a little in the macro mode to prevent shadows.

But the Ikelite seems really well made. I have been getting used to it, and think I will like it. But again, as you noticed, it is hard to hold. The right side of the camera has a handy little thumb hold that helps out, but the position of the left hand just doesn't seem comfortable. So, today I ordered the tray and single handle to help with that.

I too have a trip at the end of February......to Bonaire again. It will be intereting to compare notes when we get back, and maybe we can give other SX 240/260 owners a good crtique of these 2 housings.

This is a camera with a 20x zoom and a 25mm lens with a f/3.5 lens is therefore very "dark" not ideal for underwater use
Between the two housing the ikelite should be preferred as you can get a Dome for it and have at least a wider field of view in water
The camera without add on lens will exhibit very strong pincushion distortion

Just got back from ice diving in Tobermory (Ontario, Canada) with the Canon SX240HS camera with Canon WP-DC46 housing.
Very pleased with the pics taken this morning (Feb 24). Tough to use the housing controls with drysuit and 5mm wetgloves, but it was possible with a bit of practice and good enough for some decent shots. n
One of the photos here is a shot of our surface support team taken from underwater through the ice hole, and the other one of my team on the wreck under the ice. In all, I am pleased with the Canon setup so far.
For those familiart with Tobermory, the site was the tugs, ice was 18 inches thick, and surface temp was jsuat above freezing this morning-- great conditions for an ice dive.
IMG_0319.jpgIMG_0315.jpg

The reason you Canon told you they didn't have it is probably because Canon USA doesn't offer it.

In general cameras with a long zoom range are not ideal for underwater as they will generally have quite a long lens port. This may block a lot of the internal flash. It also may mean you cant use accessory wide angle lenses.

If you take note of the most popular compacts for underwater use you will see they generally have a zoom range not greater than around 4 x or 5 x.

Tapatalk 2

Anybody ??

I've just purchased the same Canon camera as I was looking for a pocket camera to travel with that had underwater capabilities. I wasn't sure what the model number for the housing was until just now when I saw the user manual list it as the WP-DC46. I've done a search online and have found it on a number of sites including Ebay. I'm curious to hear what you think of the case you've ordered after your dive trip. Enjoy!

I've just purchased the same Canon camera as I was looking for a pocket camera to travel with that had underwater capabilities. I wasn't sure what the model number for the housing was until just now when I saw the user manual list it as the WP-DC46. I've done a search online and have found it on a number of sites including Ebay. I'm curious to hear what you think of the case you've ordered after your dive trip. Enjoy!

I ended up getting the Ikelite housing. I will do a follow-up report in a couple of days after a using the camera and housing in Bonaire last week here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/canon-corner/441806-canon-sx-260-hs-ikelite-housing.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom