Canon SX 260 HS with Ikelite Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VAmtnguy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anybody here using the Ikelite 6148.26 housing with the Canon SX 260 HS ?? Just wondering what you think of that combination.

1. Not using that camera but some of the reviews state a short battery life.
2. The camera does not have RAW capability which means you will have to use the Custom White Balance setting for your non-strobe shots. That translates to calibrating your white balance off a white card or dive slate at varying depths and ambient light conditions. The "Underwater" setting produces lesser quality non-strobe shots than the Custom setting.
3. 20X zoom is not much use underwater but does come in handy for topside shots.

Thanks, Gilligan.

I understand that battery life can be increased by turning off the GPS.

I will probably carry a white balance card with me. I also want to get the blue water filter. This camera will basically be our land travel camera, but the secondary function will be an underwater unit to replace my Sea & Sea Motor Marine EXIIs.

The zoom will probably not be used underwater, but the 25mm lens seems decent for UW shots.

True about the GPS being off.

Don't forget you still have to calibrate the white balance in Custom setting even with a filter attached.

IMO you don't need a filter using Custom White Balance, especially at deeper depths as it will make your photos darker.

IMO you don't need a filter using Custom White Balance, especially at deeper depths as it will make your photos darker.

Good point. If I get that setup, I may try it 1 trip without the filter to see how it does with just manual white balance. I am heading back to Bonaire in February.

I watched the video by Ikelite on the differences in manual and auto white balance, and also the blue water filter. Using both the manual WB and filter seem to give best results.

Here are some observations with the 1st time use of the SX260-HS underwater.

Battery Life (as stated previously). Not good in my opinion, but manageable. 2 dives with about 30 shots each dive, with 1/2 of those using flash will deplete the battery. I had the GPS off, and later cut the camera off manually between shots....that seemed to help. The camera powers up in just a second or 2, so there are no missed "surprise" shots.

The 1st day I used the scene mode and the underwater setting, with custom white balance......that can only be done in the scene mode. The photos had too much red. After that, I used program mode, with mostly custom white balance, and cloudy white balance above 10' and for all flash shots. I used the custom white balance about every 15', and will probably do every 10' the next trip. Still working on the flash shots.....they were not as consistent as I like.

Here are some pictures taken last week in Bonaire. All of the pictures are straight out of the camera......I don't have photo correcting software.....yet. I did use the camera to crop, and in some cases used the color enhancing built into the camera software. The camera color enhancing has very little effect with the pictures.

This baby was only about 2" long from nose to tail.

IMG_0609a.jpg

Seeking protection from moi, I think.

IMG_0575.jpg

IMG_0933.jpg

IMG_0934.jpg

1st time I have ever seen spawning sponges.

IMG_0535a.jpg

And a panorama shot.

IMG_0873a.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom