S110: thoughts on Recsea vs Nauticam housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BiddyNZ

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
When I picked up diving again last year, I thought I'd get an underwater camera setup when I was ready for the extra task of that - I am ready!

I already have a canon S110 for (very basic) land photography, so it makes sense to start there.

I am coming across to the US in a month, and so can pick up a decent housing while I am there. They're harder to get here in New Zealand, so I expect (if I hate underwater photography) the resale value to hold up.

Can any of you share experience of the nauticam vs recsea housings, specifically for the S110?

I plan to start without strobes, and add later if I find, as I expect, that I take to this activity with experience...

thanks

If by re-sale value you mean 50% of the 'new' price, then yes they'll hold up well. If you fly via Singapore and can get a layover, you can get a good deal on housings there. Otherwise just buy in the States.

I actually use a PATIMA housing on my Canon S95 so can't comment on your choices, but will say that the Patima housing (bought in Singapore) allows full access to the camera functions, and is a couple hundred notes cheaper than either Recsea or Nauticam.

The prices depend on where you buy, some brands are not available everywhere and have different price depending on the importer

I have the Recsea for the S95 second version with the joystick wheel on the back and I have had the first version too with a lever on the side that is the same of nauticam

I changed the recsea because the second version had double o'ring but i regretted it as sometimes the wheel gets stuck and starts operating the up down buttons this happens with all other recsea s100/s110

So for ergonomics I prefer the fix / Nauticam housing additional plus to be considered about the Nauticam is that you have a 67mm thread so you can buy off the shelf adapters for AD and LD bayonet lenses or attach M67 lenses without additional cost and there is a very well designed cold shoe. The Recsea cold shoe is poorly designed and it is a bit of an issue to secure it but you can do that

Recsea is a smaller heavier housing in water if that is a consideration

I have not used the Patima but I heard it works well except with gloves and does NOT have a cold shoe for a focus light, for me this is a killer as for macro you will definitely need a focus light

So my advice is to get a Nauticam budget permitting, second option recsea, third option patima

I have the Nautical, and I love it. I think that the ergonomics are much better than the Recsea.

I'm no expert, but my thinking about this as someone who's use point and shoot underwater, I would just go with a cheap Canon housing. And if you're going to spend $800 for a dedicated housing why not wait till you get a DSLR.

I would recommend the Nauticam. The Recsea has excellent built quality but the port does not allows you to directly attach any wide angle or macro lens. You will need an aditional adaptor that will cost between $100 and $200 depending where are you.
The ergonomics of the Nauticam are also much better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom