S120 or G16, ikelite or Canon housing....??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vicmurph

New
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hiya,

Im hoping for some advice!! My mind is boggled now after a long time of trying to decide whether to go for the Canon G16 or Sony RX 100 - but have since ruled out the Sony. Having decided on the G16 someone then suggested to me that there is not a huge amount of difference between the S120 and the G16? Unfortunately I am slightly restricted by budget, and I can either afford a Canon G16 with Canon housing, or S120 with canon or Ikelite housing?! Would anyone have a strong suggestion for any of these combinations?
I have to say Im not massively clued up on UW cameras, I would just like something that takes decent picture quality. I would love to be able to afford a wide angle lens but don't think I can just yet, maybe at a future date so this is another consideration with the ikelite lenses vs adaptor and lens for canon housings.

Help!

Thankyou!! :)

Canon G is a time tested camera great for macro. I just bought the G16 for macro stills. If your on a budget maybe check out canon s100. I would say the rx video and tons of features are great, but its not for me. Between both housings I wouldn't know bc I plan one buy the naui housing really soon!! Check out flicker there are tonsss of photos of their uw pic.

Do a quick comparison on the "available controls" for both housings. Some have more controls than others (I do not know if these 2 provide different levels).

Then check out size. Bulk means more luggage room and may mean a more buoyant rig.

Then check out "smoothness" of controls. Canon housings generally have very good model specific housings with direct push buttons, ikelite sometimes have more generic housings that serve multiple cameras by providing more generic controls that are "bent" for different models.

Lastly think about accessory mounting like wet lens and optical strobe mounts.

As the low cost leader ikelite generally fails in some areas (you get what you pay for, there is no free lunch)

As starter kit I would recommend S120 with canon housing. It is very good value for money at £550 you get camera and housing.
The camera is easy to use and fits in a pocket the sensor is the same of the G16. It has less zoom that on land is a draw back but underwater is a plus as you can attach a wide angle lens and use it at wide apertures.
The G16 can also take wide angle lenses but require small apertures so no natural light shooting except at the surface

Housing
Other than the increased depth resistance the ikelite housing does not offer more control.
In fact it also misses the cold shoe for the focus light and pushes you to use M67 lenses

My 2c worth...

I have just upgraded from the wonderful S95 to the G16. I used the S95 in Ikelite housing and have the Fantasea housing for my G16. I love it - so responsive, the buttons are so easy to press and camera reaction time is fantastic, just as fast as my dslr :)

It comes with a built in leak detector, and cold shoe and the price is very competitive. it is nice and compact and you can get the fantasea adaptor for adding diopters. I bought the bluewater +7 and am very happy with my first pics! I mainly do macro and this is simply a fantastic setup. Highly recommend it.

Have fun!

I'd agree with Interceptor.

If the RX100 is beyond reach, get the S120. My S110 is holding up pretty well.

Good ambient light shots. WB interface is simple to operate. Focuses fairly close. Small and easy to travel with too.

What i dont like is battery life. 1.5 dives. Battery meter is inaccurate too. Battery falls sharply after the 2 bar reading.

If I'm being honest, I would have saved and spent on the RX. Image quality is simply stunning on that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added April 20th, 2014 at 04:46 PM ----------

Also, where I'm from the Ikelite is only marginally better than the Canon, so I got that. In my opinion the Ikelite is better made and more sturdy. Shutter release mechanism is better too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added April 21st, 2014 at 07:44 PM ----------

Hiya,

Im hoping for some advice!! My mind is boggled now after a long time of trying to decide whether to go for the Canon G16 or Sony RX 100 - but have since ruled out the Sony. Having decided on the G16 someone then suggested to me that there is not a huge amount of difference between the S120 and the G16? Unfortunately I am slightly restricted by budget, and I can either afford a Canon G16 with Canon housing, or S120 with canon or Ikelite housing?! Would anyone have a strong suggestion for any of these combinations?
I have to say Im not massively clued up on UW cameras, I would just like something that takes decent picture quality. I would love to be able to afford a wide angle lens but don't think I can just yet, maybe at a future date so this is another consideration with the ikelite lenses vs adaptor and lens for canon housings.

Help!

Thankyou!! :)

Does not answer your Q .. and ignore by all means .... but there is another alternative.
I just went the route of buying G16 and a Fantasea FG16 housing ....

Rated to 60m (much more than I need) ALL buttons & function available, not even Canon own housing can do that.
While I'll admit a nice metal housing would be nice, I would personally never pay more for a housing than I paid for the camera ... I know many do ... but considering the amount of topside use compared to underwater use, I set my choice that way.

The FG16 just dropped in price at Mid April .... like you I am in UK and I got a great deal form Aquapics. [FONT=&amp]www.underwater-housing.co.uk[/FONT]
The housing really is well made, it feels 'right' in my hands, all buttons clearly labelled, and easy to operate, including command wheel.

I'm never going to attach a £500 lens to this, but Fantasea do produce the "Big Eye" le3ns and add-on colour correction filters etc.

The housing is also a great fit on camera .. snug, so not like placing the G16 in a large shoe box.

Last edited:
I use an Ikelite housing with the G15 and previously I used a G9 in an Ikelite, love the housing, I have access to all the controls, and can use wired strobes so that I don't run the battery down on the camera itself. Meaning I can do 3 1 hourish dives and not run out of camera battery or open the housing. I really like that I can see the o-ring seal in the transparent housing and visually inspect it, I've had cases where something's been trapped in there and the visual inspection has saved me. Highly recommended.

update --- forgot to add that Fantasea Fg16 also has built in electronic leak detector .... another nice to have, but hope its never activated.
I like that it has twin O rings .. and as 'rks' pointed out the fact they can be seen though clear back is a bonus.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom