canon g16

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seaworm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm testing out the G16 and when I first got my hands on it a few days ago it focused lighting fast. Now it takes 1-2 sec to take a pic. Am I doing something wrong? Why the slower focus rate when it didn't do that before. No I'm not takeing pic at night lol. Any g16 users with this problem

Last edited:
even if it's not at night,....lower lights levels will effect the focus times.(as well as contrast in the photo) But if you changed the settings of certain things will effect it also. You can press the default settings button to get back to where you were. I have a G15 & 16 and don't have any problems.

What focussing mode have you set ? could that be the issue, maybe AF tracking focus is active

even if it's not at night,....lower lights levels will effect the focus times.(as well as contrast in the photo) But if you changed the settings of certain things will effect it also. You can press the default settings button to get back to where you were. I have a G15 & 16 and don't have any problems.

I'm upgrading from my G10 and have decided to go with the G16. I'm waffling back and forth over which housing to get - the Canon or the Fantasea. I know the Canon has some limitations not being able to change certain settings but I'm trying to justify the $150.00 difference in price to my husband.

Not sure if it will help - Fantasea has just come down in price (Apr) .. that prompted me to buy, here are some of the things Canon housing could not offer:
Rated to 60m
Has built in electronic leak detector
All camera controls accessible when in housing
2 yr warranty
Can raise & lower flash when in housing
Twin fibre optic interfaces
Cool black look :cool2:
Has clip on colour filters if required
In my opinion the ergonomics of grip are better - it feels right
All buttons labelled
LCD hood ... much easier to view screen in bright water

I have the Fantasea housing for my G16 and am very impressed. There are buttons for every button on the camera and they work so easily. I also have the clip on adapter for a 67mm macro lense which I have used a couple of times. I love it and am sure you will too

:)

Not sure if it will help - Fantasea has just come down in price (Apr) .. that prompted me to buy, here are some of the things Canon housing could not offer:
Rated to 60m
Has built in electronic leak detector
All camera controls accessible when in housing
2 yr warranty
Can raise & lower flash when in housing
Twin fibre optic interfaces
Cool black look :cool2:
Has clip on colour filters if required
In my opinion the ergonomics of grip are better - it feels right
All buttons labelled
LCD hood ... much easier to view screen in bright water

Well I bit the bullet and it bit my wallet but I ordered the Fantasea housing yesterday along with my G16. I'm going to research the internet but would appreciate any input anyone can give me on preferred settings - for wide angle and for macro. I know that with access to all buttons on this new housing I won't be limited to 2 custom settings as I was with the G10/WP-DC28 but for my first few times using the set up I know I'm going to want to have custom settings set. Once I'm familiar with everything I can start playing around with changing things. Appreciate any and all input.

I posted the Ikelite recc settings .... another 'pair' I came across, not settled on my own set yet.

One definite item is set the shortcut key to manual white balance

Custom1 (ambient light)
A mode
no flash
RAW
ev -2/3
iso 200
f2.8

Custom2 (Strobes)
M mode
Forced Flash (manual, minimum)
RAW