G12 question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Colin Gray

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a G12 with a Canon housing. While in Roatan, I started to get rolling numbers on the Camera screen when diving below 40 or so feet and could not take any pics. Canon wanted me send in the housing for evaluation??? Anyone experience anything similar? Also debating whether to just upgrade in case it is the camera or just get a new housing. Thoughts?? Thanks:)

The G12 has a clock mode which is activated by holding in the Set (or maybe it's the Fn) button for something like 3 seconds. I wonder if you accidentally activated this mode (having nothing to do with the depth or the case)

It happened on 3 straight days at depth. Worked fine on shallow dives and the scrolling numbers disappeared when near the surface.

Ok, so perhaps the waterproof plunger on your case, corresponding to the "Func./Set" button on your G12, is flakey and sticking in under pressure at depth. Alternatively, perhaps the switch on the camera itself is weak and closing without being pressed.

I'm just suggesting that the phone is entering a known mode, even if for the wrong reason, and you might inspect the case button or switch. (Specifically, back on dry land, outside of the case, do you get the same behavior by simply holding in that button for a couple seconds? If so, to get back to normal you can press the button again, press the menu button, press the shutter, turn one of the top dials or power cycle the phone.... pressing the other buttons or turning the scroll wheel in the back leaves you in clock mode)

Yes, I've had this. As mentioned it's the "set" button sticking and not fully retracting. It's the button that has the least travel to operate. I resolved it by opening the case, pressing the button and inserting some silicone grease on the shaft and then operating repeatedly until it became quite free.

In fact after this I started lubricating all the shafts from time to time. First without the camera in the housing I give the housing a really good soak in just warm water, then operate the buttons while submerged to make sure I get any salt deposits out. Then I lubricate the pins from the inside.

Thank you scubabacus and miketsp. Will soak the housing and lube the buttons to see if that works:)

I had similar problems on my G15 and Ikelite housing. And yes the answer is to really soak the housing in very warm water to get out the salt. Also add baby shampoo to the water which has natural oils and assists the lubrication and operate the buttons and controls while soaking to help get rid of the salt(as advised to me by the photography store where I got my rig) . After that as stated above use some silicone lube on all the shafts and buttons.

button sticking used to happen quite often at depth but now never does

Colin....I think you should upgrade to a better camera

And sell your G12 to me :D

By coincidence it will fit the same housings I have for my missing G11.

Colin....I think you should upgrade to a better camera

And sell your G12 to me :D

By coincidence it will fit the same housings I have for my missing G11.

Will try again in Coz now that I have soaked the housing and put silicone on all the buttons. If that doesn't work, you just might be upgrading to a G12!

Just saw this thread, did this work for you Colin?

I had *exactly* the same problem with my G11 on the canon housing and I was thinking of just replacing it as it has seen a bit of bashing in its life and I thought I was probably done with it. In never flooded or anything, just the symptoms that you mentioned and only at above 30-35 meters.

If you see this pls let me know if the above worked for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom