Canon 60mm help?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RDRINK25

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Been using my Sea & Sea housing with a T2i mostly wide angle up until now. I have a Canon 60mm but when I use it I can not get it to auto focus? It just takes forever? Should I be manually focus and if so I am assuming I need the focus gear?

No I can try one as I do have one. In general do most use the auto focus on the 60mm?

I shoot Nikon and use the Nikon 60 macro. Mine focuses pretty fast unless the light is low in which case I use a focus light.

Use your lens top side on the camera and get used to auto focus. Then try it in the housing again topside, just to get used to the controls.

you could use a focus gear. Sometimes focusing just where I want is tricky but practice helps.

Also sometimes the lens wants to focus on the background instead of the subject in the foreground. That happens if the subject is smooth and the background has a bunch of texture. I can usually trick the lens by getting focus on something at a similar distance and then going to the subject.

A focus light absolutely helps. The EF-S60 does focus pretty well with decent light. Use the center point on your T2i to get the best results.

I have used a Canon 60mm for years and it's one of my all-time favorite lenses. If yours is not focusing, add light. When shooting macro, I always mount a spotting light on top of the housing. I don't always need it but use it often.

Question here------for those saying 'use a focus lite', would using the 2 'target lites' work when using twin S&S 110As??/......tia..........

Use single spot focus along with a focus light. Focus on the eye of the beast, then recompose before pressing the trigger down.

The strobes have an "aiming light", it's usually not bright enough, or your strobes are pointed away from the subject. A diopter on the 60 really helps as then you can get a little more distance for lighting and still get the same magnification.

Jack

The strobes have an "aiming light", it's usually not bright enough, or your strobes are pointed away from the subject. A diopter on the 60 really helps as then you can get a little more distance for lighting and still get the same magnification.

Jack

Thanks, like in the past, I'll keep using my focus lite for near shots--so far, never have used the strobes' target lites like this............& speaking of ---(keep in mind, this is a pet peeve of mine--being an eye doctor of 38 years now-- ), why do people(divers esp) use the term DIOPTER when meaning a macro or closeup lens......A diopter is a unit of measurement(in reciprocal meters),click this link.......http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/diopter........................................Just sitting here scratching my head tryin' to figure life out---& probably never will........(lol)

The term Diopter is typically used for describing the magnifying power of a lens but in the optics world is also used for the lens itself.
Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom