Sony RX - 100 or canon 100d

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

These are two very different cameras, both excellent in their class.
The RX-100, as you probably know since I see you already use it, is a superb compact camera.
Its performance is very surprising compared to its size and I would strongly recommend it. Especially with the additional wet lenses you own.

That being said, the 100D (SL1) is a DSLR. It may be an entry level one but still a DSLR and the quality it can achieve is much greater, it terms of detail, focusing, low light capabilities etc.
The 100D with the Ikelite housing is a great package and very compact for a DSLR but still much larger than the RX-100. You would also need to get two lenses and two sets of ports to reach the same capabilities you have now with your wet lenses.

You can read my short review on the 100D here and decide for yourself: Package Review - Canon EOS Rebel SL1 / 100D in Ikelite Housing

Although optically the images can be as good as the lenses you buy the 100D images lack punch and look pretty flat I think this may be due to the limitation of the sensor
I would look at something else once I have gone that far with ports and lenses as you tend to look more at colour and dynamic range than sharpness when it comes to the pictures you take unless you do a large print
The RX100 images are richer full stop

HUH? I have shot a bunch of 100D shots with my 60 macro lens and I have a hard time telling them apart from my 7D. Maybe they both suck. The image quality of the RX100 is quite good but not quite as good in large prints as the 100d. More importantly for shooting either wide (tokina 10-17) or real macro (100 macro lens or 60 macro lens) the Canon has the RX100 beat handily. That being said, the size of the RX100 and the housing can not be beat.
Bill

Sure, as we all know and Interceptor pontificates often you NEED to spend megabucks to get "proper" images..........Funny how back in the day (and still) thousands of printed and published photos were taken with lowest level camera BODY and decent lenses........Now we argue about 200% corner sharpness and other meaningless data......blah blah blah............. :(

The Canon 100D with any lens having a bigger sensor, AF speed, etc. is great............I sure wouldn't (and don't) spend more........

Ikelite | Review Canon EOS 100D Rebel SL1

plus a small gallery linked below this short review...........

The Sony RX100 is nice but doesn't cut it for ME or many other Canon 100D shooters who have already discovered this little marvel.........

YMMV...........

www.haasimages.com

You can see it from that gallery yourself the sharpness is there (property of the lens not the body) the dynamic range and colours nothing to go shouting your mum about it which is what I wanted to say but as you wrote the review and sell canon and ikelite am not sure you can see it. I should add there is also the usual over saturated red and yellow of canons

Oh please.................

You say Sony, I say Canon, another says Nikon or Fuji.............

You are correct that Ikelite equipment is what I DO sell and use. NO, I don't SELL Canon cameras..........

As far as saturation of images (which vary SIGNIFICANTLY depending on someone's monitor, etc.) I don't spend hours on a computer...............I adjust to my liking as they are MY photos after all, and I'm not looking for approval from anyone.........

ALso, some people like "natural" muted colors (purists) and some like warmer popping colors......Some don't care how "accurate" the image colors are (me).......Unless you have 2 prints of different color renditions side by side in the internet world know really knows what a photo "should" look like......

I just talked a to a nice young man shooting his original Sony RX100 camera in a NAUTICAM housing........A fine set up and he mostly shoots RAW and is a very good computer whiz........I looked at many of his very very creative and interesting photos on flickr.....They're GREAT !!!!!!!!!!! Then again some may not like his style, subject matter, lighting or whatever............

My point is if he (and his clients) are happy it doesn't matter what camera you shoot !!!!!!!! But the way you (Interceptor121) go on and on and on about your choice being the ONLY correct choice just begs to be discussed and debated......

At least I post my real name, what I do and have a variety of experience and samples to show..........Hopefully it will help people choose SOME camera and have fun shooting underwater images versus agonizing if they've made the "right choice".......

Enough fun for tonight!

David Haas
www.haasimages.com

PS - Can you please at least learn to write in paragraphs broken into short statements and thoughts...........It's almost painful to read unless one is drinking a cocktail :)

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom