Looking for housing advice for Canon G16

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba_ben

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm in the process of trying to put together a compact digital system and was looking at the Canon G16 and the Ikelite TTL or Fiber Optic housing. With the TTL version, I was looking at a single DS160 strobe. Any thoughts or recommendations would be welcome (housings, strobes...). Also, is the TTL connection for the G16 worth the added size and Fiber Optic limitations on the TTL version of the housing? Lastly, does anyone have any experience with this housing with either the Wide angle adapter lens or the slide on dome lens.

Thanks in Advance. Scuba_Ben

Hey Ben,

In my opinion, if you choose Ikelite, go with the TTL version to enjoy all of its advantages (reliability, power saving, precision etc...).
Pairing it with the DS160 is bound to give you an excellent system capable of very good photos and easy to use.
However, I would recommend the Fantasea housing over the non-TTL by Ikelite, as it is lower in price, provides better support for fiber optics (concealing internal flash alltogether) and in my opinion more ergonomic and fun to handle. They also have a double O-ring and leak detection. The cold shoe is also a big plus for accessories. You can get the Fantasea bundled with a YS-01 or YS-D1 for a great system and better value for money.

Regarding the dome or wet lens - the dome gives you a 25% wider view, which is great and sufficient for most. If you love the extreme wide angle, then go for the wet lens. That would be a downside for the Fantasea that it does not support most wide angle lenses without vignetting. The Inon ZM80 should work but I haven't tested it out yet.

I've used the Ikelite housing, it's easy to use and my friends like the see-through housing. Ran gave you great advice, good luck. No matter which you choose, you'll love shooting the G16!

~ R

I don't like ikelike housing is too big for pocket. And the housing does not have front thread are not 67mm. I would recommend nauticam for qualiry or fantasea for best value. Fantasea has many accesories for g16. For strobe i recomme d ys-d1 or inon z240. Better invest in the good quality strobe. It will last you years. You will most likely change you camera and housing before you change your strobe.

I recently began shooting the G16 with Fantasea housing and Sea and Sea YS-D1, so far it seems to be going well. I need to get the 67 mm thread adaptor and then the macro wet lens. I think any housing for the g16 would be too big for a pocket! I went with the Fantasea as it was not quite as expensive as the Nauticam but better designed (less square box) than the ikelite.

There are several housings available for the G16.

Of the two Ike versions, we like the G16 housing that accepts optical TTL, as then you have many more strobes that can work with it. Such as the Sea & Sea which are lighter and (in cases like the YS-D1) more powerful. They've done a pretty good job of making the housing smaller than it was in the past versions. It does have a 67mm threaded port, but wide angle 67mm lenses will vignette.

The Fantasea FG16 is a good housing, but there is a lack of good options for add-on lenses due to it's square port. Their wide angle lens is a refraction replacement lens and doesn't give very good quality, nor is it very wide. Ike's WD-4 is a much better, albeit similar, refraction replacement lens.

Nauticam's NA-G16 is a far better housing, aluminum, rated to 300', better, ergonomically-placed controls and a port that is 67mm threaded for macro or wide angle lenses. It is also smaller. It does come at a higher price though.

I upgraded my underwater camera system to a G16, and bought the Ikelite housing and double tray and DS51 strobe. I use a Sola 1200 for video light / focus light / background light. I love the new system.

My previous system was a Canon A570IS with Ikelite housing and the Sola.

I bought Ikelite this time because in many years of diving every week with the 570 Ikelite housing, I've never had a single problem. NO flood, no missed dives or missed shots - all good. So the Ikelite was the obvious choice for me this time as well.

I did buy the TTL version of the G16 housing simply because I love having TTL if I want it.

Back
Top Bottom