housing for s110

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

elZub

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
hello there!
i have a canon s110, and i'm looking for a housing to bring it underwater.
i would like to stay cheap :) but still to enjoy taking pics,
so which housing is better in the low budget range?
any suggestions?
i just saw the canon housing, the ikelite start to cost more than a new s110 :D

do i have to save more money to have a good user experience with s110 and housing or is it enought a cheap case?

I personally like the Canon housings - reasonably priced and compact. I briefly had the Ikelite housing for my S100 and I didn't like it. I found it very clunky and the large port makes the onboard flash pretty much useless, where with the Canon housing it's marginally usable. This would of course not be a concern if you are using an external strobe or two.

I have had a canon housing in the past and really liked it.I currently have a canon S100 in an ikelite housing.The camera is great but the housing is an absolute pile of crap.The zoom actuator is not self centering and the video button does not line up with the camera properly.The gap between the buttons and the camera varies with depth and you can sometimes hear the housing creak as you change depth.I have had the camera go crazy in deeper water as the housing compresses and and the camera buttons are being pressed by the housing.
I am looking at getting rid of it and getting a Meikon housing.
Nearly forgot to mention the strap broke.

tnx guys!
seems that ikelite is not better than canon.
what about meikon ?

i found a meikon housing.
it's branded kaavie, but it's the same model and i can see from the seller a picture of meikon's declaration of conformity.
and it's cheaper...90 euro less than a canon housing.

any feedback about this underwatwer case?

I bought a universal housing for my S 110 and couldn't quite get the buttons to line up....waste of money ! The Canon housing is brilliant and the pictures from this little camera are just awesome. With underwater equipment you get what you pay for usually.

I have the S120 with the Ikelite housing and also have experience with the S95 in the Canon housing. Based on my experience I disagree with the above and consider the Ikelite a better housing.

True the Canon zoom control is better. In the Ikelite I rotate the zoom knob 180 degrees to disable it and use the lens ring to control the zoom. It's an option in the menus. From my reading, the Canon housing is more likely to flood, the Ikelite has a better O ring and closure. Also the Ikelite is bigger and allows room for desiccant, is fixed to the the arm with two bolts -- much more secure, and protects the lens port much better with a lens cover. It's just a matter of time before the lens port on Canon housing gets scratched up affecting optic quality. The S120 Ikelite housing comes with a place to plug in a fiber-optic cable.

Last edited:
From my reading, the Canon housing is more likely to flood, the Ikelite has a better O ring and closure. Also the Ikelite is bigger and allows room for desiccant, is fixed to the the arm with two bolts -- much more secure, and protects the lens port much better with a lens cover. It's just a matter of time before the lens port on Canon housing gets scratched up affecting optic quality.

Mere speculation on your part. Any housing can flood and while you may read more often about a Canon housing failing than the other brands, it is because there are vastly more of them in use compared to other brands. And caution is the key when dealing with any camera whether it be while sealing it up or keeping the lens from getting scratched. Nothing is inevitable unless you allow it.

The only reason not to own a Canon housing is the lack of available service. They are considered disposable by Canon. But they are still good housings and if you intend to replace a camera with a newer model every few years, there is absolutely no reason not to consider them.

I just got the s110 and the Meikon housing and used it for a week of diving. I have been very happy with it so far and it is very similar to the Canon houses I have had previously. I like the Meikon housing slightly better since it is cheaper, has L-type flash mount and threads for filters etc.

Canon housings excellent above 40m. I have had two(two different cameras), never flooded. They fit well and unless you are going to buy Recsea or Nauticam will do the job. Its worth buying the counterweights which are an extra, to make the housing more neutrally buoyant. I cannot comment on Ikelite except to say that it is a larger heavier housing.

I've had good luck with my S95 and Canon housing. The knob on the top of the housing quit working and Canon replaced the housing quickly--I've had no further problems. I have several hundred dives on this housing without flooding. I use the internal flash on the S95 and Canon housing which works well for a small flash unit. I have a number of years experience with external Ikelite strobes and even though they've gotten sooo much smaller, I just don't care to haul it all around. I am considering updating to the Canon S120 and Canon housing. Are there housings available other than Canon that allow one to use the internal strobe?

Or, for that matter; any housings for the Sony RX100 and newer that do the same?

Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom