Apparent sucessor to S 120 or G1x announced.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jimw

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Canon G7x showed up yesterday on Canonrumors and elsewhere. 1 inch sensor, 20 mp, 24-100 zoom. From what I saw, it might be closer to the S series in size that the G1. No price either! As an S95 user--I look forward to hearing more--and a price!:cool2:

Good to hear-----but---- I'm thinking they'll be 'proud' of it for a while($$$$)..I too am a S95'er right now, since Jan or so of '11---& plan on staying that way for a while longer......Thought for a moment of the G16---but only for a short moment,....:)

Interesting. I shoot with the S110 and would be interested in trading up sometime in the future (missed the chance on the RX100). One issue for me is the wide angle compatibility, which I understand does not work well with the G series.

I hope they price it "right". That goes for you too, Nauticam. Please.

I read later last night, that a formal intro will be today. I take it that means at Photokina in Germany. I bought my S95 a few months after it's intro in 2010 and the price was decent--so, I may wait a short time before moving on. I also have considered a G16 and a friend recently bought one with a Canon housing and is happy with it. The G7x may be a whole new class of cam--time will tell. At least it will be competition for the Sony RX100 series.

Just shot with my S90 this weekend. Every time I think about moving up I just take the S90 out for a test drive and I still love it.

I am also playing with a Sealife DC1400, but I think my wife has her eye on it. :)

@oldbear I know what you mean.

IMHO, the only reason why I feel my S110 isn't "good enough" is because of the rx100.

Otherwise, its fantastic...until you compare macro shots back at the resort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deepshots has a brief article here on the OEM housing that will accompany the new gx7
http://www.deepshots.co.uk/2014/09/news-canon-announces-wp-dc54-housing-for-g7-x-camera/

I think it's fairly obvious that this is canon playing catch-up to sony's rx100 cams and the large sensor performance that has distinguished it amongst other compacts. Will be very interesting to see how well video is implemented, and how it compares to the rx100s reputable video.

I got the g15 when I had a chance and personally didn't entertain the idea of getting an rx100 because of the expensive price point with no cheap housing options. Also I favour the ergonomics of the g series cameras in use because I feel, thanks to the dedicated dials & buttons, you develop skills in full manual photography that translate well to dslr (perhaps also EVIL) later down the track.

Sony's very sleek austere build gave it great form factor size wise, but more compact-style menu hunting. I wonder if the gx7's dial/button layout and small construction will take it in the direction of form over function? I'm not familiar with the use of the S series cameras so I'm guessing there is the same trade off there, for people who like shooting manual.

I confirm that manual shooting in the S is not quite as intuitive as I imagine it would be in the G. Especially in an Ikelite housing where the menu wheel is disabled -- the loading required to play with both aperture and shutter speed is substantial.

The issue i understand with the G series is its inability to sync with wide angle lenses, which is sadly a deal breaker for me.

If only the OEM housing were 67 threaded and had access to all functions...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom