New Canon EOS 7D Mark II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ShootingUnderwater.com

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Reaction score
This camera looks to have buttons in the same place as the previous 7D - has anyone heard about a housing for this yet?

I was really interested in this camera and followed the preannouncement hype. After looking at the images posted thus far I don't see a big enough difference to flush my T2i. Factoring in the camera and housing it is a 4-5K outlay to get marginally better IQ. The portion that keeps me thinking is the AF system which would allow more interesting composition and the AF points are all cross type and cover a good deal of the sensor. For birding it looks like straight out winner. I may change my mind once I see some in the wild and what the real IQ, DR, and high ISO performance advantages are over my current kit.

I was really interested in this camera and followed the preannouncement hype. After looking at the images posted thus far I don't see a big enough difference to flush my T2i. Factoring in the camera and housing it is a 4-5K outlay to get marginally better IQ. The portion that keeps me thinking is the AF system which would allow more interesting composition and the AF points are all cross type and cover a good deal of the sensor. For birding it looks like straight out winner. I may change my mind once I see some in the wild and what the real IQ, DR, and high ISO performance advantages are over my current kit.

Question

I am still shooting with a D400. And, while I still love the images I get, I would love to upgrade to a camera with video capabilities. However, I want one with auto focus in video. What Canon cameras, besides the 7D mark II has auto focus in video? Do any of the rebel cameras?

They do look fairly similar the 7D and the 7D mk II, its going to be interesting to see just HOW similar and also how the low light abilities of the mkII are compared to the old one..

The 70D does have the same dual pixel AF as the 7DII. I bet we see it in the next version of the Rebel as they will likely be putting the new sensor into all of the non-FF bodies.

hi Allison

For auto-focus during video, your best choices, by far, are the Canon 70D or the Canon 7D Mark II. The 70D housings are out now, it will be a little while more for the 7DMKII camera + housings. Hope this helps!

Scott Gietler

There are quite a few reviews. Check Canonrumors.com and photography-on-the.net for links to them. General consensus is that the sensor is very similar to the 70D but slightly ahead of it and likely two thirds of a stop better than the 7D in relation to noise. DR is a bit better. The AF is all world. I think crops are better for UW work so am interested to see the housings come out for it.

Back
Top Bottom