shooting macro with canon 60mm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BUDMANOK

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I normally use a wide angle lens but I'm going to try some macro on my upcoming trip to Cayman Brac. I need some tips on settings, strobe position and anything else that you think might be helpful.

Canon 20D with Ikelite strobes (2)

Thanks

I keep my strobes on full power and my aperture between 8 and 13. Shutter speed is between 1/160 and 1/250 and ISO is whatever is needed, usually 100. Play with your strobe positioning, mine depend on vis, distance to subject, structures around my subject, and background (color, distance, etc.).

I shoot with the 100 macro, so I don't know the ideal aperture for the 60. With the 100, I think the best compromise between sharpness and good depth of field is about f/11. You will likely need a focus light if you don't have one already, or else your camera is going to hunt for focus.

Alex

I guess I am more old fashioned than Alex. I set my aperture, shutter speed and ISO (try to use the base ISO of the camera) and then adjust strobe power as required. I would start at 1/250 sec (or whatever is the fastest sync speed on the camera) and f16 at ISO 100. On the matter of strobe positioning, I use two strobes mostly parallel to the port and very close to the side of the port.

Good luck and show us some photos.
Bill

I shoot nikon. But I often use the very similar nikon 60 mm macro. On a crop sensor camera, the 60 works like a short telephoto. It works well on small fish. For close ups, the macro lens needs to get very close, for maximum effect. It is so close that it is hard to light the subject with the strobes. If the subject has any awareness at all, it will move. I often use a Subsee wet lens to get a bit more magnification. The lens is very good. It focuses fast. It is fun to use. If your camera is full frame, the 60 is wide enough for angel fish and anything smaller.

the other choice is the 105 macro. It is better for close ups because you have more standoff room. It is very nice for taking shots of small skittish fish like jawfish, damsels, butterfly fish, chromis and so on.

i generally shoot manual. With macro, I usually set my strobes at less than full power. I shoot a shutter speed of about 1/200, an ISO of about 200, and an F of 8 or higher.

If I had just one lens besides a wide angle, I would use the 60 with the wet diopter Subsee. If I wanted to shoot pretty much only tine subjects at true macro, I would use the 105.

I shoot full manual, ISO 200, usually 1/200 (max synch speed), and f 16-20 generally, to get more depth of field. For the smaller stuff, I stop down to f18-20, and if I have to back off on something bigger, I will open up to f14, or open more the more I back off. Strobes are generally half power. If there is a lot of ambient light, i might drop the ISO to 100 and turn up my strobes to max (to try and block out ambient light), but if it's deep enough and not middle of sunny day, ISO 200 and strobes half power, then I don't have to worry about draining strobe battery.

I fine tune exposure with minor adjustments on aperture, and/or distance to subject. Sometimes fiddle with strobe power too.

Back
Top Bottom