Camera Recommendation Canon G16 or better?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wayne007

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello:
I'm buying my wife a camera for Christmas and was looking for a recommendation for a dive camera. She's wanting to do HD videos, general photography, some macro, and no external flash. Seems like the G16 is the best bet. Any recommendations for a better fit? I like the G16, but hate the housing from Canon, and afraid to try the off brands since her G10 flooded I'm wanting to stay with the manufactures housing.

I'd appreciate any advice.

Wayne

The G16 is a fantastic underwater compact camera. Personally, I'd stay with the Canon housing.

Last edited:
I agree with oszilodrom, G16 is a fantastic underwater camera. I myself is using it and i love it very much. I am using the Fantasea housing, it is very durable and has function that can detect minor leak or any moisture by making a beep sound and a small alert light

I had a G15 and was never very happy with the video, I think the g16 improved on the video though. Quality was not great and it was difficult to adjust the exposure in the canon housing.

Take a look at the new compact 20 megapixel Canon G7x. I am considering a replacement for my S95 and the G16 and the new one are on my list.............I currently shoot with the internal flash only and want to continue that, The G16 will do that in the Canon housing--not necessarily in some others!

Moziak, how is the Fantasea housed G16 using only the internal flash?? Does it work well?

i second the fantasea case. The flash on the camera will produce backscatter. Go with any off camera strobe with a fiber optic cable will be better.

i second the fantasea case. The flash on the camera will produce backscatter. Go with any off camera strobe with a fiber optic cable will be better.

Backscatter is a problem but usually not for me and my compact S95 and Canon housing. I shoot macro or close focus wide angle and typiccally do not see backscatter even in 10 ft viz.

I used to use dual strobes, etc. but decided some time ago that it was just too cumbersome. I can even put the setup I now use in my suit when not using it--getting it out of the way and secure.

Check out the work of Ellen Muller from Bonaire on facebook for many great examples. She uses a Canon G16 and the internal strobe.

Is this method limiting--yes it is. But it suits me and others!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom