Underwater bag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about underwater bags for an SLR camera? I've seen some for smaller cameras, but nothing that would work for an SLR. I'm not looking to actually dive with it, but one of those "just in case" things. I plan to use it for boating and kayaking and such, and I just need something in case of a spill.

If there's anything that's similar that I could use while snorkeling, that'd be awesome too.

Thanks.

I believe that the best choice for you would be a Seal Line-type bag -- I'm pretty sure they come in clear, too.

I wouldn't go diving with it (it's a roll-top enclosure) but would likely keep your camera dry in the case of a spill.

If you're looking to use it while in the enclosure, you would need to find an actual housing for your specific camera.

See here:
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_...41&PRODUCT<>prd_id=133621&bmUID=1110140612425

There used to be a reasonable bag made by a company called EWA (I think thats right). They sealed well and were waterproof to a few meters, you could check to
see if there still available

My husband recently got one of the EWA bags for his digital SLR, mostly for kayaking and it's ok for that sort of thing, general splash protection. He did try it snorkeling and found it pretty useless for that.

BlueEyesPhotography:
Does anyone know anything about underwater bags for an SLR camera? I've seen some for smaller cameras, but nothing that would work for an SLR. I'm not looking to actually dive with it, but one of those "just in case" things. I plan to use it for boating and kayaking and such, and I just need something in case of a spill.

If there's anything that's similar that I could use while snorkeling, that'd be awesome too.

Thanks.

Do you mean a waterproof flexible housing. Something that you allow you to use the camera in shallow water or in the rain?
Look at this http://www.ewa-marine.de/english/
The site shows these being used by divers. But I wouldn't. The ewa marine product is very expenive for what you get, we are taling about a $250 plastic bag I only paid $170 for the housing on my Canon A80.

Problem is that I'm using a full size SLR with a little larger lens. And the only underwater housings I've found for my camera are more than my camera itself. :)

But yeah, pretty much looking for an overpriced plastic bag. I'm just looking for "insurance" for when I'm out canoeing or on the water. I also like to get out and wade through water sometimes, so I just want serious insurance in case I slip, drop it, or whatever happens It won't go swimming.

ChrisA:
Do you mean a waterproof flexible housing. Something that you allow you to use the camera in shallow water or in the rain?
Look at this http://www.ewa-marine.de/english/
The site shows these being used by divers. But I wouldn't. The ewa marine product is very expenive for what you get, we are taling about a $250 plastic bag I only paid $170 for the housing on my Canon A80.

How about either a 1-gallon size or 2-gallon size ziploc bag? That should be big enough for your SLR & waterproof enough to take a spill canoeing...

BlueEyesPhotography:
Problem is that I'm using a full size SLR with a little larger lens. And the only underwater housings I've found for my camera are more than my camera itself. :)

But yeah, pretty much looking for an overpriced plastic bag. I'm just looking for "insurance" for when I'm out canoeing or on the water. I also like to get out and wade through water sometimes, so I just want serious insurance in case I slip, drop it, or whatever happens It won't go swimming.

Ewa Marine is the only option if you want the bag style housing. But what kind of SLR do yu use? If it uses 35mm film then you may be able to track down a used housing. People are tradding film for digital and the housing for film camera are getting very hard to sell. You see them posted here for 1/5th of what they sold for new. My 35mm Nikons have very little resale value anymore as "everyone is selling off the F5, N90s and so on. If you have a common 35mm SLR just wait or post a few "WTB" ads. for the housing.

About the housing costing more than the camera. That's typical. I just bought a $1,400 housing. The advice many peole give is to select a housing first then buy a camera to put it it.

I had a EWA Marine bag for a Canon AE 1 about 20 years ago, I used it on some shallow scuba dives (6m) while my F1 was out of action. It worked Ok and would
probably do the trick for you. They are over priced especially in NZ.

I'm sorry guys, but this just keeps popping into my head. Using a good SLR camera through a glorified baggie is like kissing your wife through Saran Wrap. It's just not as much fun as it should be.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom