Description of Lower OGS ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KangarooSeatbelt

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've been looking for, and having trouble finding a description of OGS, from surface to the max depth area of 172~, before it starts to get shallower. For example, the 1996 map shows a side view, but it's hard to see scale. For instance, how narrow is the restriction in the 100-130/140 range? Is it even a restriction? What's the silt like down there?
There's probably a description here somewhere, and i'm just too retarded to find it.... if not, some help?

If you want to PM me, and not post it publicly, that's cool.

Lower OG is very silty and the restriction is single file. If back mount you will scrapw and wipe out the viz for the second person. You can dive this back mount but it is much better side mount. It does get tight and silty.

Bobby

Basically I'm looking to do a bounce dive to the 172' area, then come back up. A initial dive (i've been to around 108') before I start really exploring the tunnel. Progressive penetration and whatnot. I am backmount, if i go down to the 170 area and back up, will i have a huge problem with silt? blind exit basically? or what?

Thanks!!

Hard to answer your question without knowing your skill level,but this tunnel is better done with sidemount. As described it is very silty,and unstable-rock can and will drop.
There is a lot better tunnels to see in Peacock. If you got to go deep then go to Fourty Fathom Grotto. Combining deep and cave increases the risk factor multi-fold.
If you just got to do it,I would recommend hooking up with somebody who has been there many times before.

If I might suggest,if you don't have a lot of experience in tight silty cave or deep cave,you may want to consider trying some silty shallow cave first,and some deep bigger cave later. I've seen quite a few people get the **** scared out of themselves by lower orange grove. Also,watch for falling rock!!!

So I checked it out... pretty silty, pretty tight, but not TOO tight, and not TOO silty.... I popped through the restriction almost without realizing it, and then after shining our lights about, me and my buddy turned the dive, just because. We hadn't planned on doing much else after your advice. All in all a good dive...

Basically you just head down into the lower cavern and there's all the boulders on the ground... and you sort of have to "find" the hole to lower orange grove... it's towards the left, and you can see all the scratch marks leading up to and around the hole.
At that point it's fairly silty, and you can see fresh black silt sitting on white rocks after the restriction. It basically widens out to a somewhat low ceilinged, descending tunnel that obviously heads into the the rest of the cave. I look forward to trying it later after I hit some shallow extra silty stuff.

I will say it's mildly tricky to run a line from the open water area all the way down on in there.....

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom