Is cave diving the most dangerous sport?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Every TV show I see and every book I read that has anything to do about cave diving almost always describes it as the most dangerous and deadly sport in the world. Some of the people using this description are well known cave divers. Do they believe what they are saying? Most of the cave divers I know are not exactly the daredevil type. They are, however skillful and confident. I saw a tape yesterday that stated that most cave divers eventually die in caves. Do you think they are just after ratings? I feel I am safer (if there is such a thing) in a cave with our team than I am in OW with the average gamoke. What do you think?

For trained cave divers, no.
For all others, yes.
Rick

cavediving has gotten this reputation because of all the people that die in caves but then it is forgotten to mention that MOST divers that die in a cave are divers not trained for cavediving and shouldnt have been there in the first place. It is not very often that experienced properly trained cavedivers die in a cave. If a cave can claim the life of a guy like Steve Berman what the hell are OW divers thinking when they enter a cave :confused:

check out http://www.kidzworld.com/site/p1984.htm :D

I think driving a car is much more dangerous, or maybe crocodile hunting...:nuts:

I would be interested in knowing if cave diving is the most dangerous of the diving sports. A lot of OW divers are statistics each year but I haven't heard of a caver in a while.

Bob3 once bubbled...
Cave diving, when done properly, is probably safer than golf.
If you're into DANGEROUS sports, try out Fire Diving.
We've lost 6 guys from our group this year so far, though it has been a GREAT Firediving season.
http://firediving.com/

LMAO! I loved this. The ultimate urban legend.

BTW, I think the most dangerous sport has to rebreather diving, regardless of the brand. They seem to lose a disportionate number of divers to the number of units out there.

Marc

Grilled Drunken Cave Shrimp
-------------------------------------------

1/4 cup Soy sauce
1/8 cup Olive oil
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
12 ounces Beer (non lite please!)
6 tablespoons Vodka
1 teaspoon Oregano
1 teaspoon Basil
1 teaspoon Garlic powder
2 tablespoons Dry minced onions
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon Liquid smoke (for gas grill)
1 pound Cave Shrimp; shell -- devein

Combine all ingredients in bowl suitable for marinading. Add shrimp.
Place in refrigerator for 3 hours.
Cover grill with foil so shrimp does not fall through.
Heat grill to high. Place shrimp on foil and turn when first side turns pink, about 2 minutes.
Cook on flip side for about 2 minutes.
Serve hot with rice or may serve cold with cocktail sauce.

I beleive that the only cave diving accidents by trained cave divers weren't because they 'violated' on of the guidelines of cave diving, but rather for medical reasons. And no I don't have facts to back that up, that's why I said I beleive that, call it my opinion if you want.

But yes, cave diving could be the most dangerous sports if you aren't trained for it. But sadly the media often writes in the headlines that "Cave diver dies in local cave". I called a newspaper once and corrected them saying that the perosn who past was not a cave diver, but an ow diver that was diving in a cave. Their answer was, 'he was in a cave, he was diving, then we see him as a cave diver'. This really made me mad. Anything to sell a newspaper I guess (no offense meant to those that are media related, hopefully you don't stretch the truth).

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom