Cave Cave Cave... what's the deal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation

Relocated to South Florida....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
For those of us who think caves have bats, what do you see in a cave? What's the attraction?

These are by and large freshwater caves, right? Are we talking a hole in the ground?

What's the draw? The thrill, the risk (PS: I'm down with all that...) but is there anything to SEE - fish, plants, amazing rock formations, other stuff?

I've seen the pictures on some of the sites - its like a big, blue rock room with no life. I'm cool with the exploration aspect, the whole "boldly going" thing... but is there also stuff to see and photograph?

Thanks -

Ken

One of my favorite quotes came from Tom Mount. It was specifically about cave diving, but I have found it to apply equally as well to diving in general.

"Either you're one of us and you understand it; or you aren't and you don't."

Try to find the OmniMax movie "CAVES" playing somewhere that you can visit and get in to watch it. I'm not a cave diver but would love to do some cave diving, fortunately, I'm not stupid enough to do it would out proper training. Some of the caves I've seen photos of are some of the most beautiful sites in the world.

It's ahrd to describe the environment to someone who has never seen it, but just think of it this way- erosion formed the grand canyon, and erosion formed underwater caves. It is trulya unique environment. The real draw fro me, however, is that every dive is a mental and physical challenge. The planning and equipment required to execute a cave dive are beyond what is normally encountered in any other kind of diving.

Did that help?

Where can I go to see the visual? Is there a Website with photos or video?

Are these freshwater or seawater?

k

Well, they can be fresh or slatwater caves. My diving has all been in freshwater, though. Look for Steve Auer's photgraphy website- just runa search through google or something- he takes phenonmenal pictures.

There is lots to see. There are all different kinds of wet rocks. The kind of aquatic life depends on where you are. There are cave critters like creyfish, shrimp and blind fish. There are also cave visitors. In Roubidoux, the cavern is loaded with all kinds of fish and makes for good entertainment during deco.

It's like flying throught the Grand Canyon.

The other divers you pass (if any) rarely silt you out.

For some the dive is the the goal not just a means to sight see underwater.

My wife wanted to cave dive from the beginning. I wanted no part of it. Then we got blown out on the Gulf and spent a couple days diving springs. Once I got a look in I wanted to go. Now, I don't care if I never dive anywhere else. In fact, that except for some Great Lakes wrecks and teaching in the quarries I probably never will dive anywhere else.

I also think there is some truth to the quote Cave Diver posted.

Mo2vation once bubbled...
What's the draw? The thrill, the risk (PS: I'm down with all that...) but is there anything to SEE - fish, plants, amazing rock formations, other stuff?

Have you ever sat back on a beautiful day and stared at all the different shapes in the puffy clouds above?

Picture that same facination, but instead of clouds, it's rock formations. Remove the buzz of planes, cars, boats, waves, etc... and add just the sound of your breathing, and the strange sounds of your bubbles echoing through the cave. Now add elevated partial pressures of nitrogen, and you've got yourself one hell of an imagination induced experience.

Spectre once bubbled...

Now add elevated partial pressures of nitrogen, and you've got yourself one hell of an imagination induced experience.

And...if you skip the elevated partial pressures of nitrogen you will remember it all.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
And...if you skip the elevated partial pressures of nitrogen you will remember it all.

Not sure what you use for a mix, but I'm pretty sure you're going to end up with elevated nitrogen partial pressures however you slice it....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom