Cave diving in Hawaii?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vinegarbiscuit

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm seeking information about cave diving in Hawaii. Having obtained cavern/basic cave certification in January 2009, I want to build experience before furthering my education. Traveling to Akumal/northern FL is relatively costlier and more time-consuming than when I lived in the Northeast, so I'm casting about for options closer to my [new] home! I've heard that cave diving exists in Hawaii (especially on the Big Island?), but despite combing various forums, I've found very little on the subject - hence my post here. Any suggestions, aside from calling Island Divers in Oahu? Information about reputable local cave instructors/guides will be gratefully received (have plane ticket, will gladly travel to other islands).

I'll be interested to see responses to your request. From what I've seen, there are innumerable shallow chambers but anything extending more than 20 or 30 feet from the entrance is not common that I've found. Perhaps they're just less well known and publicized.

Sounds like most caves are made by wave action. I know Kauai has a lot of volcanic caves. When I dove there, they talked about those a lot, but I was a brand new diver then, and wasn't interested.

I did find this about Oahu:
Cave Diving Off the Big Island of Hawaii. (01-MAY-01) Odyssey

I would assume Mer on here has some info as she lives half the year near FL caves and half the year in Hawaii. I'll email her with a link to the thread.

Most are lava tubes. There is a major difference between a lava tube with surge moving you around and a fresh water cave. Plus there are some big, I mean real big nasty morays that call these home.

I dove a fairly long lava tube on the Big Island with Jack's Dive Locker. Jeffrey was our guide so maybe ask him? His son was the captain so he may know, too. I wouldn't consider it a cave, more of a cavern.
this was 12 -14 years ago so my memory is a little sketchy.
The surge was very strong, like swimming in a washing machine. Lots of fun,actually.

I spent a week solo diving in Hawaii last year. Found lots of underwater caves.

Contact the NSS in Hawaii.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom