Whohoo Wakulla Award!....at Little River, booo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ucfdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Well, those of you that know me, know that I absolutely hate Little River. About once a year, someone fools me into thinking maybe another dive will make it better…It never does. Today was no exception. The Orlando Magic played at 5pm, so we were in a hurry to get back to watch the game, and our cave dive we had planned fell through due to conditions. Peacock was a bit far, and would have caused me to miss the game, so I agreed to suck it up and go to Little River. Having left the scooter back in Orlando, I was forced to do what people did in the old says...swim. :shakehead: We swam just beyond the FL room to about p1200ft. Viz was bad enough that I could not see side to side in the FL room. My dry suit had a huge flood, so it’s going to Steve Gambles place on the way out of town tomorrow. Viz was about 20-30ft at best in the whole system, with lots of crap in the water causing the back scatter of our HID's to make things worse than they really were...a 10w HID would do better for post flood I think. Fine silt covers the walls as well.

The one really cool thing about this dive is that it marks my qualification to receive the Wakulla award, so I'll get to treat myself to Hart Springs the next time up! Our family reunions are always held at Hart Springs, and I've been there more times than I can count as a kid, so I'm really excited to finally get to see what's beyond the snorkeling zone.

A few pics-
MG_0536.jpg

MG_0544.jpg

MG_0545.jpg

MG_0547.jpg

Well, congratulations! But what do you hate so much about Little River? (Curious, because I've never been there.)

Well, congratulations! But what do you hate so much about Little River? (Curious, because I've never been there.)
Some people like it, so don't let my hatred for it hold you back. There's one jump in Little River that I've found (it's on the map) that has absolutely gorgeous clay formations and that particular tunnel ranks up there with Cow springs for me. There, I said something positive about LR! :wink:

My main issue is that it just doesn't seem to change. Honestly other than the Florida Room I couldn't tell you exactly where I was on the mainline from a photo unless it was by the park bench or the first 300ft of the cave. One dive in a system like Telford will really ruin Little River for you, because it changes so much. Even Peacock, Ginnie, Madison, Jackson Blue, etc I could more than likely see a photo of anywhere I've been and guess it with reasonable accuracy, but I wouldn't even attempt it at LR.

The other issue is it's the most noticeably damaged cave I've ever been in. Ginnie takes a beating, but still maintains beauty to me. Caves in the mill pond tend to have more white and don't show damage as bad.

Finally I've been wanting someone to take me to Hole in the Wall (that cave is like Heaven filled with water) for an afternoon cruise....that hasn't happened becauseall my buddies and I seem to have schedule conflicts for the 5hr drive, so I'm just cranky :popcorn:

Congrats!

Personally I like LR, it's one of my favorite places to dive. To each their own I guess.

You know what,I am not a big Little River fan. Probably goes back to when the place used to really pump,and making it to the Florida room was impossible (but the viz back them was air clear),when the steps were real risky and we used to have to climb in/out by the trench,and lastly the locals would have fights leading to fear for personal safety. Things have changed a lot,but it was never one of my favs due to these reasons. There are some awesome places to see there that do fall off the radar screen,and some sections left off the map-which thank goodness because they can be dangerous for the novice cave diver.

Congratulations, James!!

I don't dislike LR. My wife loves it, though.

Bwaha, congrats.

I wasn't super excited about my 100th dive either, so I actually sent a copy of my 101st dive for my Wakulla Award :p Figured I wouldn't have to fight the whole 100 safe thing, logbook or not, if I just had that cheesy little sticker :p

The first site looks like it would have been a much more interesting 100th.

does it still look like a colon? i'll take your word for it cus I'm not going back :p
Once you get beyond 1000-1100ft it becomes less damaged, but it's still ugly and dark. And there's no hott girls like there is at Ginnie, it's all pregnant 16 year olds, or 20 year old mothers in abusive relationships. No where near the fine selection of college girls wearing skimpy bikinis who are already intoxicated by the time you finish your dive...nope, that's a Ginnie-only specialty :rofl3:

Bwaha, congrats.

I wasn't super excited about my 100th dive either, so I actually sent a copy of my 101st dive for my Wakulla Award :p Figured I wouldn't have to fight the whole 100 safe thing, logbook or not, if I just had that cheesy little sticker :p

The first site looks like it would have been a much more interesting 100th.
I wanted to head back this weekend, but Brian turned me down. I'm asking for help mapping it...ask him where he's turning me down to dive of all places.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom