Opening Wakulla Springs to Scuba Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hetland

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
If you are a scuba diver, and are interested in helping the community gain access to the largest and deepest freshwater spring and cave system in Florida, please take the time to join the group posted below.

It would be very, very helpful if you would mail a hard-copy letter to both Secretary Vinyard AND the Wakulla County Commission. There is a sample letter for you to use or edit on the facebook page (under the "doc" tab). Emails are great, but spam filters and lazy subordinates can easily keep your correspondence from reaching the decision makers. Please send an actual letter if at all possible.

Please copy OpenWakullaForDiving@hotmail.com with any emails you send out, and, if possible, a scanned copy of any hard-copy letters you send too. (we want to keep track of what has been sent in case the battle continues)

Facebook Page and sample letter:
Welcome to Facebook

Parks Page:
Welcome to Florida State Parks

More info on Wakulla Springs
Florida Springs, Springs in Florida, Florida Cave Diving - Florida's Springs: Protecting Nature's Gems - Florida DEP - Wakulla Springs Feature

This is a very important letter to write. The FB group page is very good - and active - too.

This fight is still being waged. If you have not done so, please send your letters in now:

Wakulla Divers Page: Login | Facebook

Please feel free to write your own letters or modify the form letter below. We do ask that you try to keep the same civil and respectful tone.

Thanks

SAMPLE LETTER
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date

Secretary Herschel Vinyard
Department of Environmental Protection
3900 Commonwealth Blvd MS 10
Tallahassee, Florida 32399
Herschel.Vinyard@dep.state.fl.us

Re: Scuba Diving at Wakulla State Park

Dear Sec. Vinyard,

My name is _________ and I have been a scuba diver for _____ years and frequently dive the springs and underwater caves located throughout Florida. Last year I safely executed __________ dives in Florida’s freshwater springs and cave systems. For each and every one of these dives I spend approximately $__________. This money goes towards access fees, food, lodging, air fills and travel costs. I also spend approximately $________ annually purchasing scuba gear from Florida retailers.

It has recently come to my attention that scuba diving is being considered as an approved activity at Wakulla Spring, which is located within the Edward Ball State Park. I believe that scuba divers have been unfairly denied equal access to this public location for too long.

Wes Skiles Peacock Springs State Park and Blue Spring State Park successfully allow
recreational scuba activities. Scuba access at these locations does not disrupt the enjoyment of other park visitors, nor does it damage the park. The revenue brought in by the diving community significantly enriches both the parks and the areas surrounding them.

I am very interested in diving Wakulla Spring and will make immediate plans to do so if
the park is opened to divers. I have spoken with many of my scuba diving friends about Wakulla Spring, and they too have expressed a serious interest in diving at the park if allowed to do so.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Respectfully,

cc: Wakulla County Board of Commissioners
P.O. Box 1263
Crawfordville, Florida 32326
jwelch@mywakulla.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

... Has anyone heard (yea or nea) on what the state decided? :depressed:

This fight is still being waged. If you have not done so, please send your letters in now:

Wakulla Divers Page: Login | Facebook

Please feel free to write your own letters or modify the form letter below. We do ask that you try to keep the same civil and respectful tone.

Thanks

SAMPLE LETTER
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date

Secretary Herschel Vinyard
Department of Environmental Protection
3900 Commonwealth Blvd MS 10
Tallahassee, Florida 32399
Herschel.Vinyard@dep.state.fl.us

Re: Scuba Diving at Wakulla State Park

Dear Sec. Vinyard,

My name is _________ and I have been a scuba diver for _____ years and frequently dive the springs and underwater caves located throughout Florida. Last year I safely executed __________ dives in Florida’s freshwater springs and cave systems. For each and every one of these dives I spend approximately $__________. This money goes towards access fees, food, lodging, air fills and travel costs. I also spend approximately $________ annually purchasing scuba gear from Florida retailers.

It has recently come to my attention that scuba diving is being considered as an approved activity at Wakulla Spring, which is located within the Edward Ball State Park. I believe that scuba divers have been unfairly denied equal access to this public location for too long.

Wes Skiles Peacock Springs State Park and Blue Spring State Park successfully allow
recreational scuba activities. Scuba access at these locations does not disrupt the enjoyment of other park visitors, nor does it damage the park. The revenue brought in by the diving community significantly enriches both the parks and the areas surrounding them.

I am very interested in diving Wakulla Spring and will make immediate plans to do so if
the park is opened to divers. I have spoken with many of my scuba diving friends about Wakulla Spring, and they too have expressed a serious interest in diving at the park if allowed to do so.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Respectfully,

cc: Wakulla County Board of Commissioners
P.O. Box 1263
Crawfordville, Florida 32326
jwelch@mywakulla.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom