NACD board meeting January 14, 2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NACD

Reaction score
As the new president of the NACD, I would like to thank everyone who attended the January board meeting on Saturday. The board welcomes Curt Bowen as our newest member and look forward to a great 2012. I have committed the NACD to become more in tune to our members needs and encourage everyone to become involved with us during 2012. Please visit www.safecavediving.com and update your contact information we have extensive plans to improve communication on safe cave diving throughout the year. The Board has also reaffirmed our commitment to the mission of the NACD. We affirm the following:

NACD Mission/purpose​

The NACD is a professional cave diving organization serving cave divers throughout the world. It is dedicated to promote greater appreciation and respect of the unique underwater cave environment and the special skills required for safe cave diving.

The NACD is a pioneer in cave diving training, education, exploration, and research with the following goals:

• The NACD is a tax-exempt 501c3 non-profit organization whose membership is open to all that have an interest in underwater caves.
• The NACD establishes and maintains standards for training of SCUBA divers in caverns and caves.
• The NACD encourages education and the dissemination of safe cave diving information throughout our organization and to provide a program of education and advanced training essential for safe cave diving.
• To achieve closer cooperation and understanding among members of the cave and recreational diving communities(and the general public) so they may work together toward the common goal of increasing the safety in cavern and cave diving.
• To promote and encourage safe scientific and research cave diving and to educate and disseminate information to government, private industry, and the general public.

To accomplish these goals, the NACD is organized to provide the following:

1. Training and Education; The NACD establishes and maintains standards for safe cavern and cave diving.
2. Seminars and Workshops; The NACD is active in organizing and planning seminars and workshops, often in cooperation with organizations concerning equipment, techniques, safety, education, training, conservation and exploration.
3. Information Services; The NACD publishes and disseminates information regarding cavern and cave diving in the form of newsletters, journals, pamphlets, seminal proceedings, press releases, training manuals, cartographies, videos, textbooks, and safety reports.
4. Conservation: The NACD supports the preservation of the cave habitat and its unique flora and fauna through education, periodic clean-ups at popular dive sites, and safety sign programs.
5. Exploration and Research; The NACD is active in conducting studies of accident prevention, management of cave diving sites, stress in cave diving, and the promotion of scientific endeavors in cartography, cave ecology, geology, hydrology, watershed management, ground water pollution, and archaeology.
6. Membership and Record Maintenance; The association maintains the records of certified cavern and cave divers, instructors; as well as, individual members of the organization.

Everything we do for our membership will be driven by these principles. I look forward to serving you in 2012.
Sincerely,
Bert Wilcher
President, NACD.
reelright.gif

Hey Bert, thanks for taking over what I'm sure is a very time consuming and underpaid (ha) job! Do you mind commenting on what mentoring means to the organization and what the NACD is doing to facilitate or encourage it? I've thought this is something very much lacking in the community since I first started, but as much as I've thought about it, I haven't come up with any sort of idea that would solve the issue.

Thanks for the good wishes, I look forward to the challenges of 2012. To answer your question on mentoring, I will do the best I can. The NACD, unlike some other agencies, does not have an academic crossover from other agencies. This requires someone to posses the knowledge and skills required to perform the duties of an NACD instructor. If you have an interest in this path, please visit the website National Association For Cave Diving and click the link to becoming an instructor for complete details. I'm sure most any active instructor will be glad to mentor your development, I know i would so let me or any board member know your interest and we can get you started.
Bert

The NACD, unlike some other agencies, does not have an academic crossover from other agencies.
Bert

What is an academic crossover & what agency has this option?

Jim, I'm not speaking for Bert or the NACD, but the way I interpret an academic crossover is one in which an instructor simply submits proof of ratings for another agency to get a rating with the additional agency. Some agencies might even require a few hours of "classroom" time but no water time. I can think of at least 3 technical dive agencies that offer academic crossovers, or at least did at one time. When I crossed over to the NACD I still had to do a 4-day internship and complete the IE. I did my initial internships through NSS-CDS, but as I understand it the CDS does not require an internship to crossover. Please correct me if I'm misinterpreting the standards.

but as I understand it the CDS does not require an internship to crossover. Please correct me if I'm misinterpreting the standards.

The NSS-CDS requires in water time at an IE for a crossover. There is no such thing as an academic crossover with NSS-CDS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom