Good Cave diving VHS and DVD's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

d33ps1x

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Does anyone have any tips on getting any good cave diving videos on preferably DVD but also VHS?

I was up at Duck's dive in Point Traverse this summer with George and Susan and, being the warm and gracious hosts they are, they played us hours of cave diving video in their livingroom.

It was spellbinding and I'd love to have some footage to watch here.

Thanks

Happy Holidays

I have not yet seen this MacGillivray Freeman film, but I'd imagine there must be some good underwater cave footage (in addition to the ice caves, earth caves, etc.). The home video is apparently being sold through Amazon & elsewhere. For more info, the website I found is here.

Has anyone seen this film, either IMAX or home version?

Jim

GoBlue!:
I have not yet seen this MacGillivray Freeman film, but I'd imagine there must be some good underwater cave footage (in addition to the ice caves, earth caves, etc.). The home video is apparently being sold through Amazon & elsewhere. For more info, the website I found is here.

Has anyone seen this film, either IMAX or home version?

Jim

Hi Jim,

I have the IMAX amazing caves DVD, and the footage taken in Dos Ojos is stunning, as well as the footage from the Ice Caves of Greenland. However, the film is very short, and the transfer to DVD from large format film was not done very well ( a lot of artifacts and large blocks ). I like the scenes where they are scootering through Dos Ojos ( even though they imply it's somewhere else ), and one where they wriggle through a restriction.

It's worth seeing the film, but I'm not sure it's worth buying it. You'll wind up with about 5 minutes of underwater video, that is awesome, but it's only 5 minutes worth. Check the local video stores, many carry IMAX DVD's.

I have the DVD of Amazing Caves and think it's well worth buying. Great footage although they make entirely too big a deal out of looking for the elusive thermalcline. They are not that hard find.

The best cave diving production* that I've come across, in that it gives you the "feel" of a real cave dive is "Cave Diving the Yucatan Pennisula" by Sub Aqua Productions:

http://www.subaquaproductions.com/

I recommend the DVD without reservation!

Roak

*If you don't have several million dollars in IMAX equipment and lighting, that is :)

I've got Amazing Caves, the filming of course is great. Got the book to go with it, too (Caves - Exploring Hidden Reals). In both UW caves are just a part of what is covered, and should be part of any library about caves and/or photography/filming.

Waters Journey is trip through the Florida aquifer. It's available through Wes Skiles' Karst Productions, though you might be able to catch it on PBS. One team with a beacon travels the spring UW, the second on the surface follows with a receiver. Very much worth watching.
http://karstproductions.com/KarstStore/store_v_b.html
Check the site for PBS show dates or a DVD/VHS copy.

mwilding:
how about
this one?

Ultramarine is also supposed to be good. The downloadable demo certainly rocks...

Ultramarine is awesome!!! I didn't have a DVD player until recently and I have watched it many many times since. There is only one part that is cave diving, the rest is wrecks...but I say get it. Footage and quality is awesome. I have been putting it on while I use the treadmill.

Karen

This is a very old thread, but does anyone know what's happened to subaqua productions or Ultramarine?

Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom