I'm loving the wet rocks! Course report for my recent cave class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

randytay

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Background:

So I have been wanting to do a cave class for the longest time but I do not want to just attend a class with the minimum prerequisite. It is no secret that I am with UTD and so I chose to hone my skills before taking that leap. Last year during DEMA in Orlando, I was with the UTD booth so I picked a good time to discuss with AG (training director of UTD) about possibly doing my cave training in 2014. As he has been one of my mentor since I started diving (lucky me right?), I felt he will be in a good position to tell me if I am ready or not. Imagine my pleasant surprised when he affirmed it but with a caveat - I have to ace OHP (Overhead Protocol, an exclusive UTD course that prepares divers for overhead environment). He asked if I have picked my instructor and recommended that I go with UTD Instructor Trainer Poh Chang Chew of Singapore because 1) He felt Poh would be a great mentor for me and 2) I was also from Singapore so we share a common background. Poh Chang was also my NAUI CD who did my ITC and subsequently NAUI IT, so accepting that recommendation was a no brainer.

Fast forward:

Date was arranged and before long, I arrived in Cebu, the Philippines 3 days prior to class start. My team mate whom I met for the first time, fellow UTD Instructor from Taiwan arrived the next day and we went for a dive together to acquaint ourselves with each other. Oh my god! Power to the Team as our integration into a cohesive team was seamless given that we were similarly trained. Poh arrived the next evening and wasted no time in conducting dry run for us starting with valve drills and valve failures.

The next morning, we starting with line laying, doing the various types of ties and zero vis protocol and lost line protocol after breakfast. We taught we nailed it during the dry run until we removed our masked and found that we returned back to where we started following the line! Somehow during our dry run, Poh has tied a temporary T leading the line back to the original point. He said "You may not be the only team in the cave, so you have to be very aware of the line and feel around it to make sure you are still following YOUR line". That was a very powerful lesson.

Lunch was next and after that we jumped into the ocean and practice line laying. Just when everything went well, I was given a left post non-fixable. No problem lets turn the dive and right at that instant, I lost my mask. Ok, my teammate was alert and initiated touch contact immediately and navigate us back to the upline when I felt 3 taps on my 2nd stage. Damn as I thought to myself and my 2nd stage was removed from my mouth. I cannot switch to my backup as I have a left post failure and I need to communicate with my buddy fast. I gave him the OOG signal and thank goodness that as a UTD instructor he had good situation awareness and remembered that my left post was broken. We proceed to buddy breathe as we ascend. We got out alive.

After a quick debrief, we descended again and start with our primary tie, secondary tie and started laying line to the simulated golden line again. Once we tie off the reel to the golden line, we were given light failure and we flip our mask so we have real zero-vis. No problem, we were just taught that protocol this morning and we proceed to fumble for our line. I was the 2nd diver so during exit, I lead the way out with touch contact throughout. We found our reel and navigate ourselves alone the line, this time careful that we won't navigate to another line by mistake. All was well when after another tie, there was no tension on the other side! I starting laughing into my regulator and communicated with my team mate that we had a broken/lost line. I can hear him laughing out loud too and it was funny. We proceed to perform our protocol but I fail to find the other line. i came back to my buddy and have him try while I waited at the last tie point. After what seems like an eternity, I felt a touch contact telling me to move forward while navigating the line and I did which lead me straight to the upline! During the debrief, I found out that my buddy too failed to find the broken line but somehow manage to find the upline that the primary tie was!

My buddy and I both agreed that even though it was funny when we found the broken line but it would have been a life and death matter if it happens for real in a cave. Another powerful lesson concludes that days training.

I will stop here for now, and if anyone is interested in what happened during the second day, I will be happy to continue my report.

Doesn't mean to tease but I still suffering from jet lag after returning from the Philippines and am writing this in the wee hours. Anyway, I'll continue on my course report:

Day 2

We wake up early again and now its a short lecture on using arrows, cookies (or not using them) and REMs; and we were given several reasons why UTD has moved from using cookies to REMs although we can still dive with people who insist on using cookies. Next we have dry runs on Ts, jumps, and gaps. And its back in the water again.

We starting by doing a primary tie like the day before, secondary tie and then was given a general heading until we reach the golden line. After tying the reel to the main line, we starting following the main line for about 10ft when I got a post failure again. It was non fixable to dive is over and we went back to retrieve the reel where this time I have an OOG situation on top of my post failure. Ok no problem, get gas and continue reeling in when my buddy now loses his mask. Ok touch contact and we still continue reeling in towards the tie off. Now he has a left post failure and we are forced to buddy breathe again. It was a total mess! When we finally reached the surface, during the debrief Poh Chang asked us: "How much is the cost of the reel?" I said, about $300. He asked again "How much is your life and your buddies' life worth"? My buddy and I looked at each other trying to figure out what Poh is trying to tell us. Then he said "You know, when you got a post failure, its a critical failure which is bad enough for you to turn the dive, yet you wanted to take your reel with you. What amazes me is that despite all these failures that can be life threatening, it never occurred to you to just leave the reel and follow the line home. You can always do a second dive to retrieve your reel once you guys are ok. You will see in the video later how ridiculous it is to try to reel in, share gas, touch contact and buddy breath all at the same time risking a line entanglement. I have to give you points however for being persistent about getting your reel though". (Yup, we saw the video, it was ridiculous!). Another powerful lesson learnt!

The next dive was done without any major hiccup, this time we remembered to leave the reel and go home when there is a catastrophic failure! During dinner that day, Poh Chang announced: Congratulations guys, we are going into the cave tomorrow!

And with that, I will continue the report tomorrow as I need to review the video to make sure I got the sequence right. But I will tell you this first: Anyone in Asia wanted to do a cave class (or any diving class), I strongly recommend Poh Chang Chew of UTD Singapore anytime!

Looking forward to the next episode

I had to laugh at your story, because Danny Riordan used the same line on me. My buddy Kirk and I still joke that he's worth less than $120 to me.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom