Training on the calendar! Tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aotus

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm now signed up to be trained at CaveAdventurers in SM, cavern, and intro cave at the end of July. So psyched! I'm not the type to wait patiently for these sorts of things - I usually read everything I can, read and post on forums, geek out about equipment and tell my very patient wife all about it over and over again. I'd hoped some of you can help focus my energy by sharing what you wish you'd known/thought of before starting cave training. Thanks for any thoughts or stories.

First of all, you licked a great location for this. I am sure you will learn a lot and come out feeling good.

Don't worry about the side mount part. I made the mistake of trying to teach myself ahead of time, and it was all counterproductive. It was wiser to have Edd lead the way from the start.

As for the cave part, the most important parts of that training are buoyancy, trim, and propulsion. Do everything you can to master those skills before you get there. You will be paying Edd to teach you about caves--don't make him teach you how to kick instead.

When I did my initial cave training, I had already completed a number of technical diving courses and was pretty decent with those skills. This allowed my instructor to focus on what it takes to stay alive in a cave.

While I was waiting for my course date to arrive I asked my instructor what things I could work on in the mean time to prepare.

His reply, practice S-drills, stowing and retrieving items (reels, spools, wetnotes) from your pockets in 3-4 feet of water without hitting the surface or bottom.

Like John, I had completed technical courses along with 100+- SM dives prior to cavern and cave so I was comfortable with the gear, kicks, trim and buoyancy.
With all the prior training and days in the pool and lake practicing, when training day arrived I really had to stay focused doing all the skills in high flow. Nothing I could do locally could prepare me for that.

John makes good point, you want Edd to teach you about diving caves, not how to dive. Have your kicks, trim and buoyancy solid. The rest is mental.

Biggest tip. Turn off the forums, don't ask for advice,and go diving. There is so much contradictory information on the forums,and some stuff that is blantantly wrong. People mean well,but ultimately you'll end up confused and puzzled. Show up to your instructor as a tabla rasa,and allow the learning to occur there. Nothing will PO an insructor to hear," Moonunitdweezel on the forum told me to mount my ###### like this". Just go have fun.

Thanks for the tips. I do plan to get a little more diving in before the training with Edd, but the rental gear I use through the padi shop is just not good for horizontal trim so I'm not sure if that's helping me at all. I'm tired of tieing weights to my shoulders, sooooo looking forward to the SM setup and "getting trim" at CA. I might pick up a SM book and read through that before hand.

Sorry. OMG!!!!! Your going to take a cave course and your still using Rental Gear. :(

I tallied up the cost of the gear for every cave dive. I enter the water with close to $25,000 worth of gear. Please be prepared to literally pay the price for cave gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Oh I know. I've been using rental gear because of some advice about putting off my purchases until I really knew what I wanted to do. So, I'll be buying much of my gear finally, from CA. It also helps that I'm a scientist with grants for such things.

I'm looking for the manuals I should read before starting the cave and SM training. Anyone know what those manuals are?

Also, $25k!? Rebreather?

Sounds like you are ready to grow with your diving. Have fun.
1-If you stop having fun, STOP. Figure out why you feel that way - uncomfortable, over task loaded, tired, sore, etc, before progressing forward.
Each of the skills you learn are vital and should not be rushed. Better to take more time or come back another day, than to rush it and not enjoy the process. Take the time to ingrain your skills as second nature so they become instinctual. They may save your life one day.
2-Additional reading recommendations: The Six Skills by Steve Lewis, and his newest book as well Staying Alive (Risk Management).
3-Please post a class report. We'd all love to hear how it went.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom