blue spring state park closed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubastingray

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just wanted to warn others so they don't make the same mistake I just made. I got up at 6 and packed up the last of my things and started the drive. I was looking forward to a simple cave dive with some line drill practice.

We pull up to the gate and the ranger tells us you can't dive today. "Annie" is at it again, and has inexplicably taken her calf to the spring boil, despite the river being 15 degrees warmer.

There's four hours of wasted driving. I guess I'll call the day before and hope no manatee has moved in overnight...

When you look at all the manatees dying due to scuba divers in crystal river, it really makes you appreciate how strict this park is about diving when manatees are around.

When you look at all the manatees dying due to scuba divers in crystal river, it really makes you appreciate how strict this park is about diving when manatees are around.

How is that? Boat strikes?

I've been to kings bay and seen the operations there. I don't see how divers could hurt manatees other than by prop. The diving is garbage when the manatees are there too, because of the hoards of snorkelers which number in the thousands.

Are they being injured in some other way?

I'm not blaming the park or anyone other than annie. Just venting frustration and trying to prevent someone from doing the same thing.

I've been to kings bay and seen the operations there. I don't see how divers could hurt manatees other than by prop. The diving is garbage when the manatees are there too, because of the hoards of snorkelers which number in the thousands.

Are they being injured in some other way?

I'm not blaming the park or anyone other than annie. Just venting frustration and trying to prevent someone from doing the same thing.
Bubbles must murder manatee's or something, why else would they shut the whole park down to diving over a few manatees in the spring run?

Bubbles must murder manatee's or something, why else would they shut the whole park down to diving over a few manatees in the spring run?
Sarcasm aside, I do understand not wanting to harass the wildlife, but there is a huge difference in enforcement.

At crystal river they tell you not to molest manatees, but the truth is they molest you. They swim up to you, flip over, rub against you, etc.

Same analogies must apply when diving at Wakulla springs was requested, the manatees was constantly brought up as a reason,although ironically the park tour boats frequently make contact with the manatees,but that's okay as long as it isn't a diver with the murderous bubbles. :)

Same analogies must apply when diving at Wakulla springs was requested, the manatees was constantly brought up as a reason,although ironically the park tour boats frequently make contact with the manatees,but that's okay as long as it isn't a diver with the murderous bubbles. :)
they take the manatees pretty seriously at wakulla.
also, the boat props there have cages over them

Sarcasm aside, I do understand not wanting to harass the wildlife, but there is a huge difference in enforcement.

At crystal river they tell you not to molest manatees, but the truth is they molest you. They swim up to you, flip over, rub against you, etc.

Besides Three sisters I find the rest of kings bay pretty blah.

Besides Three sisters I find the rest of kings bay pretty blah.
Yeah, it was more snorkeling than I expected. I'd love to dive King's Spring (the main one) now that the vis is probably more than a foot. I called the dive there being unfamiliar with the site and not wanting to end up under an overhang without knowing. I didn't get down to the spring head to see if it cleared up, but I'm guessing not based on the training group there who kept surfacing and spent maybe 3 minutes "diving" before getting back on their boat.

There is also a cool sink called catfish hole which I was told about. Managed to find it, but it was damn hard based off the map. Small hole, but still cool to look in with thousands of fish. There are also a few fissures off of one of the beaches there, but that was a pretty boring dive.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom