Intro to Cave Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
sorry if this has been asked a zillion times before:

i am getting ready to take the Intro to Cave course,
and I have an Oceanic Probe jacket-style BC.

my plan is to use that for the intro class.

i also plan to buy a new reg and first stage and an H-valve,
and dive that set-up on all my subsequent dives (complete
with 7' hose).

two questions:

1. how do you guys feel about using the jacket BC?

2. how do you guys feel about using an H-valve, 7' hose primary setup for open water, cavern, and cave dives?

thanks in advance

1. Not the best idea, but it can be done, you will want something different if you pursue cave diving (BP most likely, or some soft-pack equiv.)

2. I use a 7' primary on all of my dives, OW, Cavern and Cave, including teaching. I'm not a big fan of H-valves, my advice is to rent singles until you're ready/can afford doubles, the only thing an H-valve would give you is the ability to not change hoses to go from doubles to singles.

Ben

Andy - let me skip ahead a few posts here and answer a few of the follow up accusations before they start:

"Well, I guess you have to ask yourself then, WHY is it that this board is so backplate-friendly?"

...followed by:

"Well, you know what? I'm NOT DIR, I don't know GI3 from a hole in the ground, and I STILL think a backplate is the cat's *** for diving... especially in a technical environment."

OneBrightGator:
the only thing an H-valve would give you is the ability to not change hoses to go from doubles to singles.

ok... i must be calling it the wrong thing.

what i want is whatever would allow me to connect
two separate first stages to a single tank, so that i have
two independent air sources.

i guess that's not called an h-valve?

No, Andy, that is the correct term.. Actually, there are 2 types of valves that will allow this, H and Y. An H or Y valve must be used at the Intro level, unless you are using doubles, as redundant first stages are required. Personally, I think doubles are the way to go, but some instructors won't allow them.

ah, ok, thank you.

and no, NSS-CDS doesn't allow double-tanks on the intro to cave stage.

They do if you state your intention to continue on to full cave. The only problem is you will not obtain an intro card, but a temporary card until you are full cave.

NACD will permit doubles at the instructor's discretion.

Hint: If you're going to use them, get some NOW and an appropriate rig to use for a while in open water. They trim COMPLETELY differently than singles and the first time you use them you will be quite a comedy piece for your friends :D I strongly suggest that your first attempt with them be in a pool or other confined water environment.

I personally believe that "H" valves are a kludge and will only use them if I end up at some site and must. They do not provide any protection against two possible failures (tank neck O-ring and burst disc) whatsoever; thus, all you're REALLY protecting against is a massive regulator failure of some kind (e.g. a locked up first stage)

j-valve:
H2Andy, What did you use for Cavern??

Jody

i used a single tank, single first stage with two second stages
(i.e. main reg and octopus), and a jacket-style Dacor
Sportster.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom