Intro Cave Diver looking for buddies 10/18-19 @ JB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aotus

Contributor
Reaction score
Like the title says, I'm looking for buddies to make a few dives in JB (cavern or cave) in Marianna his weekend.

About the dives:
I will be limited to 1/6ths, so they'll be 30-45 minute sightseeing trips in the first section of the cave. I'm not looking to practice drills this time around, except running the line in and out. Lots of fossils to look at, and some flow dynamics to scout. Ideally, I'd like to find buddies for 2 dives each day, starting in the morning.

About me:
I recently passed my PSAI Intro class with Edd's protégé, Michal Turek. Before that I learned sidemount from Edd. Now I'm looking to gain some time in the caves. I dive wet, with LP85s and 95s, sidemount. And I'll provide the Gatorade!

Please send me a PM if interested. Include which day and time works best for you if you have a preference.

Cheers,
Zach

Zach, I'll be there the following weekend, 25-26, if you're interested. JB is always a great dive.

I've found at 1/6th you can easily get in three dives per set of tanks, with gas to spare.

When are you finishing up apprentice and full cave? I'm shooting for Nov-Dec and would like to have another student in class. Edd is my instructor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks very much, I will be there then too. I have another Intro Diver buddy joining me then, but would be happy to have a second! Let me know when you might like to dive with us if you'd like to be our third. I'll need more buddies in the next few weeks too. Thanks!

---------- Post added October 13th, 2014 at 04:58 PM ----------

I'm hoping to take apprentice and full near the end of December with Edd too.

Zach, I'll be there the following weekend, 25-26, if you're interested. JB is always a great dive.

I've found at 1/6th you can easily get in three dives per set of tanks, with gas to spare.

When are you finishing up apprentice and full cave? I'm shooting for Nov-Dec and would like to have another student in class. Edd is my instructor.

Not to be a joykill as I'm all for happily diving to 1/6ths with a new diver, but I was under the impression that most agencies have a minimum gas volume recommended prior to entering the overhead. I am NAUI certified so never had to dive 1/6ths, but believe NAUI set minimums. I may be misconstruing my instructors recommendations with actual standards. I think that there could be a solid argument against entering the overhead on your third dive of a set of tanks.

I was told not to enter with less than 2k psi on my 85s. That means 2 dives for me on one fill, 1/6ths.

Falls in line with exactly my lesson from my instructor back in the day.

I was told not to enter with less than 2k psi on my 85s. That means 2 dives for me on one fill, 1/6ths.

Of course, with the set of 95s that I'm picking up, I'll have 4 tanks to take down to 2k...so hopefully that means no midday fill run.

Not to be a joykill as I'm all for happily diving to 1/6ths with a new diver, but I was under the impression that most agencies have a minimum gas volume recommended prior to entering the overhead. I am NAUI certified so never had to dive 1/6ths, but believe NAUI set minimums. I may be misconstruing my instructors recommendations with actual standards. I think that there could be a solid argument against entering the overhead on your third dive of a set of tanks.

PSAI calls for 72 cu ft of gas to enter an overhead environment. I can get three dives out of 200 cu ft of gas at JB and finish the third dive with more than 72 cu ft remaining.

Clearly available gas influences dive planning.

UPDATE: well shoot. My Saturday morning buddy has a cold and had to cancel. So, now I'm back to looking for buddies for 2 dives on saturday, 1-2 on sunday. Any takers?

---------- Post added October 16th, 2014 at 05:26 PM ----------

UPDATE:

Ok, Saturday afternoon is covered (again). Looking for a Saturday morning dive, and 1 or 2 on sunday.

---------- Post added October 17th, 2014 at 03:39 PM ----------

UPDATE:

Saturday, assuming all goes well, is now set!
Sunday, I MAY have some buddies, but still looking until I get plans finalized.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom