Ok, any one use this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They just came out if I'm not mistaken. I'm going to order one to try. They are only ten bucks at DGX. Saw a video of it used and looks pretty neat. 30 ft of line and for inside a wreck is more than enough for what it would be used for.

Same, Jim. Looks interesting, huh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a couple that I'm waiting to try out. Simple but useful.

Same, Jim. Looks interesting, huh?

My only concern, and it may be completely unfounded, is using it in a blind situation like a siltout and having the notches get snagged on something and delay things or loosen up something else. Once I get one I'll set up a line course in the pool with a blacked out mask and see if it's an actual concern. I have several weighted buckets with eye bolts I can use to set up a pretty complex situation. Complex if you can't see that is.

---------- Post added December 26th, 2014 at 06:12 PM ----------

I have a couple that I'm waiting to try out. Simple but useful.

If you get the chance before I do please post your impressions.

Will do Jim, most likely I'll be doing the same as you with a course in a pool.

I used to have a similar item - a mini finger spool. Thought it was cool, but turned out to be pretty worthless. About the only use it got was as a clothesline.

FWIW I use a mini spool for my 3' SMB. It has about 30' of line on it and is nice a compact. I have not used them in a tech setting.

Um...just for the info of posters, it's not a mini spool,
From the DGX web;
"Jumping from one line to another requires a gap line to connect the two lines and the Dive Rite Cookie Spool makes that quick and easy. Made from injection molded POM (Acetal) plastic the finger spool is only {2.3 in | 5.8 cm} in diameter loaded with with {30 ft | 9 m} orange color standard #24 cave line. Ultra compact, the Cookie Spool packs easily into a pocket and deploys with ease to gap a line. With the unique Cookie Spool, connecting two lines together is easy; it attaches and locks to the line quickly with notches on the spool that are similar to the notches on a line arrow or cookie."

That's why it's in the cave forum.[emoji4]

I'm not very sure what the advantage is, honestly. You trade a smooth outer surface that can't catch or jam for the convenience of. . . not having to clip off a double ender? (And unless your line ends up precisely where you want it, it seems to me you're going to have to use a double-ender to keep the line from unspooling further, anyway.)

I'll be interested in the reviews, but this looks like an equipment solution to a non-problem to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom