WSPSSP Line Committee

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capt Jim Wyatt

Hanging at the 10 Foot Stop
Staff member
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Today I heard that the line committee at WSPSSP has been dissolved and that no one is authorized to keep the lines and signs up to date.

WHAT!?!?!?!?!

Uh... how does that work?
Maybe I'm wrong, (and I'm asking, that's not sarcasm) but uh here's my thought process....
Peacock gets closed to flooding....
Water goes down....
Peacock opens back up....
Some newer cavern or cave divers decide to make a dive, but vis sucks as soon as you get in the cave, line is tangled from tree branches and limbs that got sucked in, or buried in the sand....

If I understand you correctly, we don't have seasoned cave divers to go in first and check out the conditions for safety of the newer diver? How the heck did that happen? The state goof something up on accident?

Ugh... Come on guys, get it together!

Uh, no...
and AJ, how about contributing something for once in your life.

You first.

Peter for line committee/ Peacock guru.

Jim is correct. The line committee that was created at the request of the state has been dissolved because of ruling a few years ago that won't allow volunteer divers in state parks. The function of the line committee was to check minimum visibility and line conditions following a flood, and repair/replace lines as needed. This being said a thank you needs to go out to committee people who sacrificed their time to be available to perform these tasks, and two of these people actively post here-Jim and Pete.

This is another example of our government officials being short-sighted. :dork2:

The divers could sign a waiver agreeing not to hold the state liable. Civil disobedience requires that now we do the work surreptitiously and perhaps even in violation of the law.

It has always been an easy call for the rangers to close the park to cave diving when flooding occurred. Re-opening it to cave diving after a flood event now will be a crap shoot and a guess by the park rangers who will have no clue what the visibility is or what shape the lines are in unless they use volunteer divers to go look and report back, violating the new policy on no volunteer divers.

So can we make everything a T now?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom