Ginnie springs depth?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaalblake

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi. I'm an Oz certified cave diver going to do a couple of days guided cave diving around ginnie springs area following a work conference. My travel insurance covers SCUBA up to 100 ft max. Is that going to let me do some nice caves in the area? Max depth in Mexico is 30ft to swim for kms.....but I don't know much about depths in the Florida cave systems. Probably a dumb question I know :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi. I'm an Oz certified cave diver going to do a couple of days guided cave diving around ginnie springs area following a work conference. My travel insurance covers SCUBA up to 100 ft max. Is that going to let me do some nice caves in the area? Max depth in Mexico is 30ft to swim for kms.....but I don't know much about depths in the Florida cave systems. Probably a dumb question I know :)

If you have a guide then tell them your limits, and they can stay within in that. That being said, there are quite a few places you can dive and stay within 100ft max. Ginnie can drop to 100ft intermittently,but you can have a good dive and stay above this threshold.

You'll be a-ok in ginnie. You might hit 100ft if you put your gauge in the floor. Avg depth is 85ft.

I really don't know anything about insurance, but it just sounds odd to me, "travel insurance cover SCUBA up to 100ft max", if they don't cover anything deeper than 100ft, I'd think they are not OK with cave diving, regardless of depth.

I would check with the insurer if Cavediving is ok.
I also have the same "39m if qualified" statement, but technical and cave is NOT included as it is considered extreme sports.

I just checked my log for my 4 dives at Ginnie. My max depth on any was 97 feet and average depth of 63 feet. I had one on the main line and the others exploring the first few jumps....my first trip there so it was all new to me. All swimming, no scoot, no stages. All in thru the ear.

Have Fun

Another option you have is diving at Peacock Springs Park in Live Oak; not too far from Ginnie Springs. Average depth in the Pothole side should be 49' -(I recorded 60' max depth), Peanut tunnel around 40' (max I recorded 71'). Low flow cave. Visibility conditions were 30'-40' last weekend.

In the end I took out scuba insurance to be sure

Good Idea. Ginnie springs bends a LOT of divers (long dives, saw tooth profile), so it's very wise to not dive there without DAN insurance or equivalent. The Shands chamber doesn't accept divers last I heard, so it's prudent to have plans to pay for air lift to other facilities as required.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom