Giant Cave, Caye Caulker Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kensuf

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I just spent a little over a week diving with Belize Diving Services in Caye Caulker. Most of my time was spent diving Giant Cave, which is written about in the opening pages of Caverns Measureless to Man and is considered one of the largest completely marine caves in the world. The system spans underneath the island of Caye Caulker, and is only about 300 yards from the BDS dock.

This is a very unique system -- you will find marine life such as jellyfish and crabs inside of the system, and large flowstone columns measuring over 10' in diameter. A tour through the "swimming pool" line will take you past several calcite formations that are upwards of 30' tall in rooms that must be at least 100' wide. A swim through the "roman ruins" will put you next to a vast array of columns as thick as oak trees. And a drop down Franks line will put you in a pristine area with beautiful clay floors.

Word has it that you can even hear music from "The Split Bar" while you're in the "small world tunnel."

With the exception of the tomb line, which goes down to 150', and the swimming pool, which is in the 60-70' range, the cave averages 90-100' depth. But BDS banks 32%, which keeps the deco pretty minimal, and you are entertained watching the tarpon during your 10' hang.

Getting there is simply a ten minute flight on a puddle jumper from Belize City, and Caye Caulker is small enough that you can pretty much walk everywhere. If you've ever thought about going to Belize, I'd say do it.

We worked with Chip Peterson at BDS in advance of the trip. There were about twenty of us that descended on Caye Caulker, so arranging for tanks / etc was important.

He has double 85s, stage bottles, and AL40s w/O2 for rent, which meant I was able to keep busy diving. Chip took great care of us, he even built a special storage area for our gear.

Most of the others that went spent time on a few of the reefs or in Winter Wonderland, another cave accessible only by boat, Chip arranged shuttles for them. I spent all but one of my diving days in Giant Cave (I did the day long trip to the blue hole), and still have a few dives I'd like to do in there.

Caye Caulker itself is pretty inexpensive, the exchange rate is $2bz to $1usd, and I came home with almost half of the cash I had budgeted for the trip.

[ Belize Diving Services ] Belize Diving Services

I

But BDS banks 32%, which keeps the deco pretty minimal, and you are entertained watching the tarpon during your 10'

+1 for BDS!

They bank 32 now? When I was there in Jan, they were PP everything.

I'm blanking on the other owners name at the moment (not Chip, but he didn't blend any of my tanks, and maybe I'll take his offer and come down for a 'weekend'.......), but every day his mixes were bang on 32.0%

Nice lockers steps to the dock with enough room for almost anything (and a very handy shelf)!

Cool caves, one day I'll be trained and get in there ......

BRad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom